DIY - Root Tabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trey Turner

AC Members
Oct 18, 2018
Dublin, Georgia
Yes, I bought the clay yesterday and I will be ordering dry ferts soon to make my own tabs, as well as being able to dose the aquarium for plants like the java ferns that pull from the water column.

Does anyone have any advise on dosing when you are using water column ferts and tabs for your root plants?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It all depends on your "home water". It can be all over the place.

I never worry about java fern, anubias or mosses getting "enough" ferts, they can make do with whatever or none. I use fert tabs for swords & crypts mostly...Stem plants prefer water column ferts.

Have you looked at your GH & KH? On both coasts I had soft water (low of both)...but also had hard water in MI & DE. Water is local, lol, & can be hard to understand. At least you can look up your city water & get an idea of what you have. Keep in mind water can be "seasonal" too; different in winter than summer...or spring & fall...

Where I live now it's soft, but even a town or 2 over it can be very different...even on the "same supply" it may not be the same...

Trey Turner

AC Members
Oct 18, 2018
Dublin, Georgia
I'll have to check my notes on the GH but the KH is 7 and a bit. Phosphates in the tap water is nearly 2. So I think I'm going to have to use a mechanical filtration like Poly-filter to reduce the phosphates to between .5 - 1. Once my plants are back healthy and thriving I don't think I will have a phosphate issue. I just need to get it down so I can get the plants the iron they need.
It never ceases to amaze me how a slight imbalance of a nutrient that your plants need could end up killing them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The red clay is supposed provide iron, whether it's enough is not something I can't tell.

Please keep us updated on how things work for you, either here or in a new thread.

Fish food can add a "significant" amount of phosphate, keep that in mind too.

Trey Turner

AC Members
Oct 18, 2018
Dublin, Georgia
It all depends on your "home water". It can be all over the place.

I never worry about java fern, anubias or mosses getting "enough" ferts, they can make do with whatever or none. I use fert tabs for swords & crypts mostly...Stem plants prefer water column ferts.

Have you looked at your GH & KH? On both coasts I had soft water (low of both)...but also had hard water in MI & DE. Water is local, lol, & can be hard to understand. At least you can look up your city water & get an idea of what you have. Keep in mind water can be "seasonal" too; different in winter than summer...or spring & fall...

Where I live now it's soft, but even a town or 2 over it can be very different...even on the "same supply" it may not be the same...
GH is 100mg/l = 5.6D

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, your water is much harder than mine is. I'm not sure on the phosphates, I've never checked.

I guess I'm not sure what product you're using...the stuff I'm thinking of is a "pillow" of slightly off white tiny bits that can be recharged (Polysorb?). A dark blue "pad" I don't know...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store