Help/Suggestions needed - Setting up a new Betta splendens tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Hi All,
Need help from the experts here. I am trying to bring up 8 gallon tank for my existing single Betta splenden, the specs are as given below. I would like some suggestions on heaters, thermometer & lighting which are good enough for this below setup.

Tank Size: 18 inch (Length) x 9 inch (Width) x 12 inch (Height) - 8mm extra clear glass
Filter: Aqua Clear 20 (HOB)
Style: Hardscape (Non-planted to start with)

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
A 50watt heater should be sufficient for that tank. I use zacro digital thermometers for reading temperature.

For lighting, nicrew makes a nice clamp light. Can find all on amazon for cheap.

Reactions: rockarolla70

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Knowing the linimum and maximum temperature of the room, and the desired temperature of the room will be important before recommending a heater.

If hardscape only, there's little need for a light other than to see the fish, as there are no plants whose needs should be met, you really only need to make the fish and aquascpe look good to your eyes.. color of the hardscape and the fish will be important before choosing spectrum or CRI.

It's also likely to depend on your market, and what's available for you.

If you want a few ideas about setting up the tank as planted, I quite enjoy http://www.floridaaquatic.com/BettaPlantedTank.html as a good starting point,

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
An AC20 on that tank size may be too much flow for your betta. Keep an eye on him, and if it looks to be too much, I'd cut first cut a AC20 sponge filter block to use as a prefilter, and that will slow the flow a bit. If that's still too much, you can put something in front of the return to try to diffuse the flow. For mine, the prefilter is sufficient when the AC20 is set to low.

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
An AC20 on that tank size may be too much flow for your betta. Keep an eye on him, and if it looks to be too much, I'd cut first cut a AC20 sponge filter block to use as a prefilter, and that will slow the flow a bit. If that's still too much, you can put something in front of the return to try to diffuse the flow. For mine, the prefilter is sufficient when the AC20 is set to low.
Thanks for the suggestion ... can/does the pre-filter sponge alter the the water suction ??

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
If I may make a recommendation, try a simple sponge filter. They do more then enough filtration and wont create a huge current. Lots of space for beneficial bacteria colony as well.

I use one on my 10g betta/skittles shrimp tank and its the only filtration on the tank. Works very well.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the suggestion ... can/does the pre-filter sponge alter the the water suction ??
It slows it a bit, not enough to prevent the filter from getting water, but maybe knocks 5-10 gph off of the flow rate. It's important to allow the water to move through the filter, so the motor on the impeller doesn't overheat.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If I may make a recommendation, try a simple sponge filter. They do more then enough filtration and wont create a huge current. Lots of space for beneficial bacteria colony as well.

I use one on my 10g betta/skittles shrimp tank and its the only filtration on the tank. Works very well.
Very valid suggestion here. The main reason I didn't use it is because you said you already had the AC20.

A kind of combo option you could DIY if you have an air pump and line is to take a bottle, (soda, juice, water, whatever, clean it) put the lid on. Drill some small holes in the lid, a lot of them. Cut a filter sponge, like an AC20 one, to fit over the lid, drill a small hole in the neck that you can squeeze an airline into, drill a small hole (or two) on the side you can squeeze a suction cup node into, several holes on the bottom, fill the with some kind of biological (or lava rock will work) media, insert the airline and, voila, you have essentially a sponge filter you can mount on the wall with a sponge do the mechanical and biological, and the other media to just do biological filtration. Heck, you can even use like a Krylon Fusion paint and spray paint it (obviously let it cure well so it becomes fish safe) black or whatever color will hide best in your tank. There's a guy on Youtube that has a bunch of DIY videos like this. I'm looking at doing this myself, for my betta. And for the record, I have an AC20 on my 10, with a sponge over the intake.

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Thanks guys for the suggestions, as I already have a AC20 I will try to use it with the pre-filter sponge and see if it serves my purpose, if the flow is still heavy for the betta then I will try using another HOB I own which has much more lower capacity but it is just a filter without any filtration media option in it except the sponge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store