Sick oscar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Devon Q

Registered Member
Nov 9, 2018
I have a tiger Oscar that’s around 5/6 years old and I got him when he was about 2 inches big and now he’s about 8-9in, he’s been in a 75 gallon tank his whole life. His diet consist of pellets, frozen blood worms and occasionally crickets. He would freak out randomly and make a big splash and throw water everywhere but it was normal cause there was always a reason but I noticed lately he had been doing it more frequently like once a week. Then one day he freaked out for a good minute, he was spazzing out hitting the glass and the gravel and speeding across the tank and it worried me. But as I watched him afterwards I noticed the left side of his stomach has a big bulge. I’m trying to figure out what the bulge is, I waited a week and feed him sparringly to see if the bump went away but nothing, it’s still there. I also see that he is pooping so it might not be a blockage. But I can’t wait any longer he freaked out again today. He’s hitting the gravel and glass so hard he is taking chunks of skin off himself. Idk what to do help please.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Devon, welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your issues. I am also an oscar keeper. Mine is also about 6yrs old and kept in a 75g along with a green severum.

Is your oscar kept by itself, or are their tank mates?

What is your water change frequency and volume changed? Can you get a read in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Is it possible something outside or inside the tank is effecting him, like a reflection, movement or shorting out heater?

Devon Q

Registered Member
Nov 9, 2018
Devon, welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your issues. I am also an oscar keeper. Mine is also about 6yrs old and kept in a 75g along with a green severum.

Is your oscar kept by itself, or are their tank mates?

What is your water change frequency and volume changed? Can you get a read in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Is it possible something outside or inside the tank is effecting him, like a reflection, movement or shorting out heater?
It is kept by itself and i do 20% weekly or bi weekly, I never go more then 2 weeks without do a water change and I have an api test kit but I read they aren’t accurate but I will run a test. And I don’t have a heater in there at the moment and there is nothing new in the room to make him freak out

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
20% weekly is not nearly enough water being changed for an oscar in a 75g tank. I would imagine your nitrates are very high and water parameters have the potential to have shifted to the point of a drastic pH swing should you do a large water change all at once. IMO, the API master test kit is accurate enough and much better than relying on test strips. I view the nitrate test as more of a go, no-go gauge. As long as the test tube isn't red, you're doing well. Orange = OK.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store