Amazon Swordplant problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Harold Petrak

AC Members
Nov 2, 2018
I have had these amazon sword plants in my 50 gal aquarium for 5 years. There are 4 of them 3 which came about because of runners approx. 3 yrs ago. Until a few months ago they flourished. Then I noticed holes in some of the leaves and some leaves looked translucent. I removed the plecostomus catfish from the tank,trimmed the damaged leaves and replanted. There are still some holes in some of the leaves and the plants do not have the vigorous growth they had in the past. PH--6.8 no nitrates--ammonia level basically nil.

15 gal water change weekly, add flourish liquid with water changes and flourish root tabs every 4th water change.
3 Large angel fish--3 Large Bala Sharks--4albino corys (med) and 2 melanistus corys (small)

Harold Petrak

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Harold, welcome.

That's a lot of amazon swords for a 50g. I have just one in my 55g and I've had to drastically trim it back or would have taken over most of the tank.

IMO, 15gal per week is not enough water being changed. Do you have a read for GH and KH relative to your tap water? I'm wondering if some water parameter(s) have shifted to the point these plants can't deal with it well?

Harold Petrak

AC Members
Nov 2, 2018
I appreciate your input. I will try removing all but one of the sword plants, and step up my water changes. I do not use tap water. I buy purified water from a machine at my local grocery store. Any thoughts on the holes in the leaves????

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Is this water RO/DI water?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Are the affected leaves (translucent and /or holes) new or old leaves?
What is the co2 level?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Unless you're adding minerals and nutrients back in, you don't want to use straight reverse osmosis, de-ionized water. It's got nothing in it to sustain plants.

Reactions: fishorama

Harold Petrak

AC Members
Nov 2, 2018
I ADD flourish LIquid and every 4th water change flourish tabs. The water comes from a dispenser at my Local WALMART or Publix. The aquarium water is not hard and the PH hovers around 6.8. When I do the changes I also add Aqua Safe to the new water.
If you think it might help, I can use tap water, It runs through a softener that uses salt.
they grew like weeds for 3/4 years and now they seem to be in remission.
I also have a buffer in the filter to maintain the PH. (Crushed Coral) small amount.
It is in a well lit room and gets artificial light 3-4 hrs in the evening.
When I was a kid I had a tank that my grandfather made me, about 45/50 gallons.
The plants grew like weeds, don't ever remember doing water changes just adding water from evaporation. Incandescent bulbs. Hey enough of my blabbing, thanks for answering my post.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, your tank lights are only on for 3 or 4 hours? That seems too low for most plant growth IME. I low tech but my lights are on for 6-8 hours. Window light can reduce the plants needs... but that still seems low to me.

I agree with FF (Joel), your plants need minerals not available in RO/DI water. But salt is not great either. Can you bypass your water softener for water changes (it may be outside or in your basement)?

That pre-softener water may be colder than your tank & fish would appreciate. Some people in your situation use a (heavy duty) trash can & heat it before using it for water changing. Thankfully I haven't had to do that.

Also changing fert tabs every month seems too frequent, they should last 3 or 4 months even for heavy feeding swords.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store