Seeding QT tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
Hi all! I have an established 36 gallon bowfront w/ Aqueon 55/75 HOB, I have coarse sponge, 2 cartridges I have cut the carbon out of, some ceramic rings and Bio-Max in the back. Long story short, I bought a Fluval 406 hoping to switch but it's just too much for my little tank. Plan on keeping it for a 55 when I get set up. But can rob media off it in the mean time to mod my HOB.

I've recently had some probs w/ addition of new fish as I did not QT them. I'm treating my 36 at moment, but setting up a QT for future purposes. It's a 10 gallon with a tiny filter, I have taken the floss? from the back of one of my filters, cut it up and put in a bio-media bag and stuffed it in this tiny filter along with about 5 ceramic rings and 5 bio-max from the 36. I also rang out my sponges in the QT tank. I'm probably making this harder than what it is, but trying to get it up asap to put my inverts in as well while medicating. I know theirs a lot I'm leaving out here, but my Angel is the main fish being treated along with dwarf Gourami and neither do well being netted so I'm keeping them as stress free as possible.

I'm feeding the BB with a few drops of Ace Ammonia daily. Keeping the temp at 80.

Should it take long to cycle or should I even worry about cycling the QT tank?
Ammonia .5 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 0
Thanks in advance!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Did the media come from the contaminated tank?

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
Did the media come from the contaminated tank?
Yes, and I realized that last night so starting over and dumping all contents of QT and cleaning well. Ugh.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
There's an excuse to have another setup! That way you should always have at least one healthy tank to grab a filter from to setup a QT should you need one.

Just make sure to have 2 filters at a minimum for each tank so you can grab one of you need it.

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
There's an excuse to have another setup! That way you should always have at least one healthy tank to grab a filter from to setup a QT should you need one.

Just make sure to have 2 filters at a minimum for each tank so you can grab one of you need it.
You read my mind!! Man, this hobby gets out of hand quickly, huh? I'm either getting a 55 or 70 next month. I've already got a Fluval 406 for it, now just to work out the rest.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can also use a plastic tub for QT. Not as tempting to set it up as a permanent tank that way & easy to store.

Yes, lol, this hobby leads to more...& more tanks! I'm currently down to just 3 tanks ATM from 9 or 10 (including a QT that did become just a plant & animal small tank).

Reactions: Kmbishop111
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store