Fry surprise!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks. If I can find someone who wants some BNs, I'll for sure try it. Worst case, I'll donate them to a LFS

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I just found a second loach fry! Both were busy in the area I usually feed Repashy or tablet food. 1 is slightly larger but close enough to be from the same spawn. I always think survivors are the best hiders & eaters, but I'm not sure these 2 are big enough yet to not be danio food. These are very slow growing fish!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good idea, forse, but catching them & setting up another tank is not in the cards right now. Once the fry get to a "certain size" (not danio food) they are good to grow. My last fry are still not fully grown.

That said, I haven't noticed these latest babies in the few days since I saw both...I'm just hoping they're ok & hiding in all the plants...That's my "sewellia breeding plan" for now...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
LOL, there is no "plan", just fingers crossed. I've done the fish breeding thing years ago, I have no desire to do all the work required anymore. Call it laziness, indifference, whatever...this "plan" works for me.

And now the danios are spawning...I hope it's not the "live fry food" spurring that, I'm still hoping for the loaches survival.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Joel, it's not my idea but I've read it can work! I hope if you try it works for you. Good luck!
So I made a water bottle trap like that u toob clip. I've had it in the tank about 5 days. The only thing I've caught in it is snails. LOL.

Funny thing is I haven't seen a single tiny baby BN pleco in a week or two. It's possible the keyhole cichlid or tiger barb munched them. The larger youngin's are all over the trap sucking out pellet fragments through the tiny vents holes I poked in the bottle.

If I try this trap again, imma try a larger bottle.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'm sorry you didn't trap any BN fry, but snail removal is ok too. Hopefully your fry are just hiding & not snacks. You do need to be careful (I've read) that you check the trap often since food in an enclosed place can wreak havoc from the pollution inside.

Good news, I just saw both fry!! They look even smaller...could they be different 1s? Maybe...

Reactions: FreshyFresh

forse

AC Members
Nov 7, 2018
San Juan, PR
Real Name
Enrique
LOL, there is no "plan", just fingers crossed. I've done the fish breeding thing years ago, I have no desire to do all the work required anymore. Call it laziness, indifference, whatever...this "plan" works for me.
Ha, ha...! Yeah, I know that is not a plan, but I told you I understand you because I feel the same way after breeding for years. So, I am now using your same "breeding plan".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store