Black sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taylor Price

AC Members
Nov 5, 2018
I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank that’s a few months old, maybe 2/3. It’s been cycled and my fish are doing great. I have some live plants, 6 corydoras, 2 snails(one nerite and one mystery), 5 Raspbora Hets, 1 clown pleco and frank the Betta. They all do great and are very active including the snails. My issue is that my tan sand has developed a black pocket. I haven’t disturbed it until I know what it is. In the photo it’s in the center close to the black bar at the bottom of the aquarium.

image.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
From what I can tell from the pic, the sand depth doesn't look deep enough to worry about an anaerobic pocket of nastiness in there. I'd just roll with it. Do you have small snails? Some Malaysian trumpets are a good thing for the substrate IMO.

Last edited:

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Deep enough for anaerobic spots, maybe the tank is not old enough,...
Sand may look nice but that is about the only benefit. Like a white carpet in your hallway, it requires a lot of work. Literally vacuuming and rubbing (in that order) will remove it.

Taylor Price

AC Members
Nov 5, 2018
From what I can tell from the pic, the sand depth doesn't look deep enough to worry about an anaerobic pocket of nastiness in there. I'd just roll with it. Do you have small snails? Some Malaysian trumpets are a good thing for the substrate IMO.
I have a nerite snail and a mystery snail

forse

AC Members
Nov 7, 2018
San Juan, PR
Real Name
Enrique
Malaysian trumpet snails can aerate the substrate nicely and they do not harm the plants.

Taylor Price

AC Members
Nov 5, 2018
Malaysian trumpet snails can aerate the substrate nicely and they do not harm the plants.
So I was looking up where to get them and I saw some threads about petsmart giving them away because they can be pests. All the threads were old and I was wondering if you know if that was still true.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Many stores give them away. They won't help with dirty spots though, and there is no guarantee whatsoever you won't get anaerobic spots.

forse

AC Members
Nov 7, 2018
San Juan, PR
Real Name
Enrique
They are considered pests because they can breed extremely fast; as a matter of fact, they are livebearing snails. You can control their population by siphoning them in each water change. I have a 38 gallon tank with sand as substrate and I have never had an anaerobic issue on it for 8 years, without needing to siphon; just using the Malaysian trumpet snails and doing vacuum cleaning over the top of the sand. Of course , the sand is only 1 inch deep.

Last edited:

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Easier to not overfeed. No pest snail is going to breed a ton if there isn't enough food.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

forse

AC Members
Nov 7, 2018
San Juan, PR
Real Name
Enrique
I agree with you authmal. To avoid overfeeding is the #1 rule to control that snail population. Getting rid of the excess of them by siphoning, is just a help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store