HELP New Rasboras with ammonia poisoning?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
Also, would running my UV Sterilizer while using Melafix be an option? I know most TX's, turn it off and I've had it off but just got to thinking about it.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
So you started with the doxy already? I would have recommended wait a couple of days before the Melafix can take effect, but when you start an antibiotic treatment you need to finish it or it will create resistant bacteria. You will also need to monitor ammonia meticulously as it will kill nitrifying bacteria. After treatment the tank will need to recycle... But Microbelift for instance sells bacteria that speed up the process.
UV light will break down Melafix and other medications, that is why you need to turn it off during treatment.

Reactions: Kmbishop111

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
So you started with the doxy already? I would have recommended wait a couple of days before the Melafix can take effect, but when you start an antibiotic treatment you need to finish it or it will create resistant bacteria. You will also need to monitor ammonia meticulously as it will kill nitrifying bacteria. After treatment the tank will need to recycle... But Microbelift for instance sells bacteria that speed up the process.
UV light will break down Melafix and other medications, that is why you need to turn it off during treatment.
Sorry for the confusion, no, I haven't started with any other treatment. (Purchased them) Just added activated carbon to my filter to prepare if I did. Can remove that and do nightly dose of Melafix for 3 more days and see how things progress? (UV Sterilizer is still off.) Should I be good?

Great info btw, I certainly do NOT want to have to recycle if at all possible.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yes, take the carbon out and observe the fish for a couple of days. IF they are slowly improving you can even continue with the Melafix. Best would be if they did and you won't have to use the doxy, monitor ammonia, cycle or add bacteria... If they are getting worse use the doxy. But as long as they're active and eating it's ok.
About the UV.. I made a post in another thread today why it's not effective against diseases.

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
Lost another Rasbora while I was sleeping. Found him on the bottom of the tank when I woke up. So frustrating.

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
Sorry to hear that. Was he the one worst affected, or couldn't you tell?
Yes, he was in bad shape yesterday. He was pictured in the 1st and 3rd pic, I didn't figure he would pull thru but was just beginning to isolate a bit when I went to bed this morning.

I'm doing all I can do here. The only other thing I can think of is bigger daily water changes or would that even help? I'm currently at 25% daily.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
No, you did all you could. Keep an eye on the other ones. If they are going to isolate too use the doxy. It would be best to use a hospital tank.

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
No, you did all you could. Keep an eye on the other ones. If they are going to isolate too use the doxy. It would be best to use a hospital tank.
I have 3 more that are symptomatic. I have my 10 gallon running and water parameters are good now. I have put my 5 snails in there for the time being just in case at any point I needed to use salt in main tank. (And one seemed to be having a reaction to the Melafix)

Since the Doxy will kill my BB, will I just need to do daily WC's with Prime? I'm fixing to do my nightly WC's. Happy Birthday to me!! lol Tomorrow that is. ;)

We've had snow and ice all night and day so I'm a bit cranky. (Been praying for no power outages as I've been down that road before too unfortunately with my fish

**Breathe**

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Happy birthday Kris !

Don't know whether using Prime with API body & fin is safe. It's possible they react together. A safer way would be to temporarily get some fast growing disposable plants in there. Floating stuff, frogbit, water sprite, guppy grass.

Hopefully you won't have a power outage. If you do wrap the tank completely with blankets, styrofoam etc.
That's one thing not to worry about with weather loaches, you will be freezing long, long before they do;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store