Starting a New Cherry Shrimp Tamk

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
I am starting my first shrimp tank. I picked up a new 10 gallon that I want to divide so I can have two different color shrimp. Screen or solid divider? In any case, I'm thinking one corner sponge filter for each side, java moss on each side with pool filter sand substrate. What size air pump do I need? I picked up a used tank stand and it came with an unused Tetra 10 pump. One or two heaters? I was planning to start the filters in my fish tank to jump start the cycling. How long should I leave them in there? I have some algae covered drift wood in the fish tank that will go into the shrimp tank when it's ready.

Now that I gave you my ideas, what mistakes am I making? Thanks

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
If you want to breed them and keep the different shrimplets separate, the divider must be solid. You don't need a heater with cherry shrimp as they aren't tropical but subtropical.
If the divider is solid you'll need 2 filters. The smallest air pump will do for a 10 gallon.

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
I'm leaning towards a solid divider on top of a 2" foam filter block running the width of the tank. This way I will have some flow between the two sides and another grazing area for the shrimp. Even though I'll have some flow, I think I still want a sponge filter on each side.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I get wanting the sponge to provide a larger water volume, but even with prefilter sponges on ALL of my filter intakes, I end up with shrimp in the canisters. Shrimplets are tiny and soft enough to work their way through. So...if you want different shrimp, to be safe they either need to be in their own tanks, or of different species.

Reactions: authmal

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
I get wanting the sponge to provide a larger water volume, but even with prefilter sponges on ALL of my filter intakes, I end up with shrimp in the canisters. Shrimplets are tiny and soft enough to work their way through. So...if you want different shrimp, to be safe they either need to be in their own tanks, or of different species.
This will be a shrimp only tank, just divided in half with a sponge filter in each side, no canister. Everything that I've read has recommended sponge filters for shrimp.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think she was more saying that the shrimplets find their way through the foam, not suggesting a type of filter you should use.

Type of filter will depend on the tank, it's not really recommended to use a sponge filter on a high-tech planted tank where you're injecting CO2, for example.

personally I wouldn't use a divider of any sort, solid or foam, just because of the good chance that there will be shrimps that traverse it, and cause issues with the lines that are being bred in the aquarium. different types of shrimp might work, assuming there is no chance of hybridization, and they want comparable water conditions... most of the ornamental shrimp do not necessarily fall into that category though.

Reactions: OrionGirl

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
It will just be a recreation tank, not commercial breeding (it's only 10 gallon). If any shrimplets do get through the barrier (2 inches thick), I would be able to return them to the proper side before they are old enough to breed. Adults shouldn't be able to get through.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
In that case, go right ahead, just be sure to never sell the offspring as pure lines.

I would also question your need to use heaters at all, Neocaridina Davidi (I assume the shrimp you are talking about) will be fine in the 60s, just how low is your room temperature?

air pump will depend on the actual sponge filters you are using, and the airline tubing going to them... and whatever you are expecting to accomplish; you shouldn't need a huge amount of flow, for example.

be sure that the algae covering your wood is something that the shrimp will actually eat too.. otherwise you may start to fight a losing batter.

and give the aquarium a chance to mature on it's own, maybe test to see how water chemistry is affected by the hardscape you are using, to give you an indication of how frequently you should change water, and how large those changes should be.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For small back up, secondary filtration and my RCS tank, I like these mail order cheapies from eBay or the likes. The suction cups do wear out on them over time. I just pop the suction cups off and then use a mag clip. IMO, the nice thing about them is they don't require an air stone and are easily serviceable. You can see the amount of water they move if you extend the outlet above the water line.

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
For small back up, secondary filtration and my RCS tank, I like these mail order cheapies from eBay or the likes. The suction cups do wear out on them over time. I just pop the suction cups off and then use a mag clip. IMO, the nice thing about them is they don't require an air stone and are easily serviceable. You can see the amount of water they move if you extend the outlet above the water line.
I have these exact filters ordered, one for each side

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store