Glossostigma seed question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Plants over fish

AC Members
Dec 27, 2018
Hello all I am new to this site but the following question is what led me here I have a 20 gallon long with a Fluval 3.0, a CO2 system and good substrate. I am very familiar with aqua scape being but wanted to try something new! My tank is all set up with several plants planted and attached to Driftwood I would like to seed the other half with Glossostigma. The only way out I saw to do this was to drain the tank and plant the seeds and wait for a bout 10 days how would that affect my other plants and is there another option that doesn’t involve draining the whole tank? I have included a picture of the set up still cloudy though but you should get the idea.

image.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've grown glosso fairly well at times but not from seed. I did plants divided into small clumps spaced about 1.5-2 inches apart, no co2. I never got a really good carpet going but I liked it.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Where did you get the 'seeds' from? Glosso is one of those plants that scammers frequently sell as seeds, but they aren't actually glosso seeds. Most likely, you have some random grass seed that will die if you put it in an aquarium. You are welcome to try--you will need to dry start it, and then transplant it to the tank...but your best bet will be to toss the seeds and buy glosso plugs to use as described above.

There are VERY few aquatic plant seeds available. The only way to get seeds is to grow them emersed (most plants don't flower underwater, and those that do are seldom fertilized unless the flower breaks the water surface....and for many of those, the pollinators are specialized, so it won't happen in captivity).

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store