Diamond Tetra Sexing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Hello! So I just acquired some diamond tetras from the local fish shop. They all looked exactly the same, they all definitely look like females. I know the difference in males and females from looking at photos online; however, I was just wondering if perhaps the males don't show their characteristics (longer fins, more color, more diamond scales) until they are much older? I know both male and female take time to develop the diamonds. But if the males show their other characteristics right off the bat, I have all females, and am kind of sad, I want some males. All the diamonds at the shop looked like females.

Thanks for any help!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
F fishorama Oh yay! That's what I wanted to hear! haha, so there's still hope I have males. <3

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Upon close inspection, I have a hunch I actually have 4 males and 3 females. I'm basing this off the fin colors - 4 of them are slightly more purple, while 3 are more transparent/yellow. I think I will add a few more diamonds to the group eventually.

PS, does anyone know if diamonds come in different color morphs? I have attached two photos (hoping they work), wondering if it's just the lighting or do they color up sometimes?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't kept diamond tetras so I'm not sure. Are these pics of your fish? There can often be breeding colors especially in males & lighting can make a huge difference too. My "guess" would be top pic male, bottom female of young based on fin length (dorsal, ventral & anal).

Pretty fish!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
F fishorama no those weren't my fish, just ones I found online that showed the darker coloration. As far as I know diamonds are mostly silver/purpleish, those dark ones stood out to me which is why I was wondering if there was a darker version. If there is, I'd love to get a separate school of them but I haven't found any info about them so I'm assuming its lighting or breeding colors like you said.

Mine are still smaller, none of them have the long fins like those two. I think the two pictured are both male.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I "think" diamond females have longer dorsal fins compared to most tetras, but not draped over like the mature males. I believe tanker (Jessica) keeps them, or did, & can probably tell much better. Hopefully she'll chime in soon so we all can learn.

tanker, we need your help!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Maybe that one up there is a female. But now I'm 99% certain I have 4 males and 3 females, based not only on the color but the shape of their dorsal, even if it's ever so subtle at this point, I think I can see the difference now. :) Now I think I know what to look for in the future if I cared about picking out specific sexes hehe.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Hello Fishorama:
The Diamond tetra is one of my most favorite tetras, and I have had them almost continuously for over 30years.

Looking at the pictures that Stara'lfur posted, the 1st picture is definitely a male and the second is almost definitely a female. The dorsal fin a on a male is much longer then the females and the lower anal fin is shaped like a hook. The photos show this. The reason I say that the second photo is almost "definite" is because it may be a very young male. Without knowing the age of the fish, and if the temp is kept too cool (72 degrees) and the food is not the best, sometimes the males mature late. They do grow big and love to be in big schools where they show their best.

Jessica

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store