Just bought a used tank, but can't seem to figure out where everything goes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Not sure what you are referring to as the overflow chamber, but it's not gonna fill past the lowest route out.. in this case the drain if I'm not mistaken.

The point of the hole in the white piece is to allow air to get in to help with noise, not for water to go through. It floats by design.

To put a stand pipe in, personally, I would remove the bulkhead and either attach a pipe directly to that, or start a fresh from the bulkhead up, pretty mu h because of the risk of leaking where joini g new pipe to old, having a piece of pipe to join. 2 halves is gonna reduce the amount of flow and you want to make sure the flow it can handle is more than the pump will return.

You are gonna need to measure the size of the pipe and/or the drilled holes on the aquarium to know exactly what size you need; maybe you can work it out from the physical size of the bulkhead.

Its likely gonna be easier to read up on overflow/stand pipe design.. it's primarily a saltwater thing, do you are likely to find more info on that side of the hobby.

White Knight

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Not sure what you are referring to as the overflow chamber, but it's not gonna fill past the lowest route out.. in this case the drain if I'm not mistaken.

The point of the hole in the white piece is to allow air to get in to help with noise, not for water to go through. It floats by design.

To put a stand pipe in, personally, I would remove the bulkhead and either attach a pipe directly to that, or start a fresh from the bulkhead up, pretty mu h because of the risk of leaking where joini g new pipe to old, having a piece of pipe to join. 2 halves is gonna reduce the amount of flow and you want to make sure the flow it can handle is more than the pump will return.

You are gonna need to measure the size of the pipe and/or the drilled holes on the aquarium to know exactly what size you need; maybe you can work it out from the physical size of the bulkhead.

Its likely gonna be easier to read up on overflow/stand pipe design.. it's primarily a saltwater thing, do you are likely to find more info on that side of the hobby.
Hey, sorry I took so long to reply, but with work I haven't done much on the tank., but I did stop at Petco. I bought a 20 pound bag of gravel. Turns out it wasn't enough, so I went back and added more. I also got a background, and a piece of carbon filter pad there. On Amazon, I ordered a digital thermometer. Looks like my heater is working for sure (if it's accurate), because no way would it be that warm naturally.

Also, the tank is much quieter now. I added a little more water to the tank and overflow chamber, and to my surprise, it did the trick! Tomorrow I'm off, so I just need some decorations (got one coming from Amazon). Last but certainly not least, I need some fish. Not really sure what to get, but maybe Cichlids. Have to read up on the right temp for them or any other fish I decide to get. I've had lots of those in the past, along with many others. Jack Demsey's were cool too. No Red Devils. I learned the hard way. :)

Anyway, here's two pics. It is clearer than it looks. It only looks a bit cloudy because the tank light is on top of a very badly water-stained top glass. I'll work on that soon.

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

Reactions: dudley

White Knight

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Tiny update. Just added some Biological Booster and decorations (Easter Island statues, a cave, and a fake plant). Really love how the water flow constantly moves the plant. Will probably add more decorations soon. I can't wait until I can finally add some fish, and I'm Reading up on a few kinds now.

IMG_3441.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store