2 male bettas in a 75 gallon tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
I dont really know much about bettas but i would think they would kill each other. No matter how big the tank is they would eventually run into each other at some point. Maybe im wrong though, wait and see what others more experienced with bettas suggest.

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
yeah, once they bump into eachother is hell, they will fight to the death, why so big of a tank for thos kind of fishes anyways? they dont swim around much. you could always sepreate them with one of them tank border thingys.

PurpleSmurf

AC Members
May 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
purplesmurf.com
You obviously don't know much about bettas if you think they don't swim much. I have three in a divided 10 gallon and they're very active, constantly begging for food, squeezing themselves around the plastic plants in the tank, and flaring at each other.

You can keep several males in one tank but there two things you need to look for. 1) Are the fish you're planning on keeping agressive? Thanks to the fact that bettas are now bred for color instead of tenacity some of the males you can get ahold of can be down right docile... sort of; these are the fish you want. With two of the mild-tempered males :)Angel:), room to establish teritories, and several females at hand they can share a tank. :cool2:

There is always the chance they'll decide to kill each other, but you can help prevent it.

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
i've had many male bettas before in a 5 gallon tank...
but they grew up together since i bred them.. so only torn fins..

not really sure what will happen if the fish are not together since birth.

fishinAZ

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
One betta to a tank only. I had a divider in a small bow tank with two bettas and one found out how to squeeze in between the divider and when I got home from work there was torn fin every where and they were both exhausted from attacking each other. That's sick... They each got their own tanks and were OK.

Bettas DO swim around a lot if they are given a tank big enough to swim in. 3 bettas with dividers in a 10 gal doesn't give them much opportunity to swim. I have a betta in a 10 gal and he is a gold medal swimmer, especially when he wants to be fed.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
One betta per tank. Don't ever mix male bettas. It is not a matter of space - it is a matter of instinct. Once they see each other, they will fight to the death. We've had several threads about this situation, mostly by stubborn people who refused to take our advice. Needless to say, we've had a few "well you were right, my betta died" threads! Please, keep only one per tank unless it is well-divided using safe dividers.

And yes, bettas are active. I have 3 in 10g tanks by themselves and a female in a 55g. They all take full advantage of the tank size.

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
im not quite sure how that whole thing about bettas dont need or like big tanks, because its a total lie, i have one in my 5 gallon and he is constantly swimming in and out of plants and swims up and down when hungry. I cant wait to get another one for my new 7 gallon! I also saw one in a 55 gallon and man do they swim.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
led_zeppelin said:
im not quite sure how that whole thing about bettas dont need or like big tanks, because its a total lie, i have one in my 5 gallon and he is constantly swimming in and out of plants and swims up and down when hungry. I cant wait to get another one for my new 7 gallon! I also saw one in a 55 gallon and man do they swim.
The more I keep different varieties of fish, the more I learn that any fish will swim, given space to do so. Lots of folks say mollies are fine in a 10. I have them in a 20 long and wish for more space still. My next tank will be a large one and will only have small fish. Lemon and neon tetras, pygmy cories and guppies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store