How would I clean all this calcium buildup on my aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelp

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
I haven't been really attending to my aquarium as you can tell in the two pictures. How would I rid the hardware of this white calcium that just seems to spread more every month?

It just seems very disgusting leaving it all over there.

IMG_0111.jpg IMG_0112.jpg

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
My favorite cleaning tool for calcium buildup is a toothbrush. Just a plain, clean toothbrush- generic brand. You can probably get one for 50 cents at the grocery store.

I use a product made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals called, "Safe & Easy."

Instead of spraying it on places like the hood and filter parts, I like to just put a few drops on each area to be cleaned. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then use a toothbrush to rub it really well, then wipe away with a clean paper towel or rag.

To clean the front of the glass, obivously it does work well to spray and wipe with a clean rag.

A toothbrush is also a handy tool for cleaning the hard to reach spots such as along the seals in the corners of the inside of your tank. Lots of great uses for a toothbrush in your aquarium. A clean, new, toothbrush.

aquanewb

Trying to keep my head above water
Dec 2, 2004
NYC
I second rrkss's idea. Vineger does the trick quite nicely, a simple toothbrush is also helpfull.

Red K

AC Members
Jan 23, 2006
Minnesota
Another vote for the vinegar. It is stinky but works like a charm and is safe.

kelp

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
How much would the vinegar affect the fish if some drops drip into the aquarium water?

Soulcoffr

Casiotone Nation
Jan 9, 2004
Eastern Iowa
Visit site
I think the assumption would be that you remove and clean those parts which are removeable. And then for the tank hood and such, you could soak a rag with vinegar and scrub the deposits.

I'm not sure what vinegar will do to the chemistry in the tank, but enough of it would drop your pH to some degree.

Soulcoffr

Casiotone Nation
Jan 9, 2004
Eastern Iowa
Visit site
Hmm. Lime Off is just phosphoric acid (the same stuff you find in soda pop.)

At $41 per gallon, you could buy 50 gallons of vinegar for that price. Vinegar may work a little slower, but not slow enough to warrant that kind of price premium.

Also, per a discussion in another forum, you can buy a gallon of hardware store-grade hydrochloric acid for around $11. But you gotta be *really* careful with that stuff.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store