non schooling tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

betta_fantasy

AC Members
Jan 13, 2006
Are there any small (under two inches) non-schooling (as in can be by themselves or with one or two others) tetras that could fit comfortably in a ten gallon tank? With:

1 male betta
3 khuli loaches
3 guppies
2 otos

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
In my opinion, your tank is already pretty full.

What kind of filtration?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Regardless of filteration, your tank is pretty full. You fish need room to swim, too. If you have to get another fish, get another oto. They need to be in groups of three or more.

All tetras are schooling fish, to answer your question.

Roan

Genral72

Giver of worthless imformation.
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah you are pretty full up. Espeacially after your guppies start breeding.

betta_fantasy

AC Members
Jan 13, 2006
Um sry, I have two guppies, both male, so there won't be any breeding in the tank (I DO know about the male and female ratio at least -_-)

betta_fantasy

AC Members
Jan 13, 2006
You fish need room to swim, too

three of the fish are khuli loaches which bury themselves in the plants (I have about 7-8 fake plants) the betta stays at the surface, and the two guppies stick to the back, and the otos stick to the glass, so the entire middle part of the tank doesn't have anything swimming in it? I was thinking two small black skirt tetras to fill in the space to complete the tank, and it doesn't look crowded at all, almost totally bare. And there are enough hiding places for each of the eight fish to hide with no one seeing them at any time

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Kuhliis are very active at night and they swim all over the place when the lights are out.

I find it strange that the betta stays at the surface. None of mine ever did, they usually swim all over. Is there a problem between the guppies and the betta?

Tetras are schooling fish, you really need at least six of them. Why not get some more guppies if you have to have more fish?

Roan

betta_fantasy

AC Members
Jan 13, 2006
how about five neons? They are small, would have a group, and fill the empty space. . .then I wouldn't be able to add any more fish. . .

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
You do not have room for more fish. Not only because there is not physically enough room, but because a filter won't be able to handle all of that organic waste (ammonia). You'd be needing to do water changes every couople of days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store