Challenge-Design me a dragonfly tattoo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Seriously. I have finally decided to get the tattoo I have been wanting forever and went into the shop today and they really didn't have what I want. I've been doing web image searches all day to find something without much luck. Here is what I would kinda like but just can't find. I'm not really artistic enough to come up with it.

I would like it to be around 3 inches by 3 inches (small so it can't be too detailed) It will be placed on my upper leg.
I am looking for something whimsical...but not too cartoony
I would so LOVE if the wings had a swirly pattern to it where a cursive J and cursive M could be hidden in the wings(My children's initials)...I don't really want it to jump out at you (the initials) just be a discreet part of it.
I think I want a little bit of color highlights to it, but I'm not sure what colors will age the best. I wouldn't be opposed to having to go every few years for a color refresh.

I'm just stumped and the guy at the tattoo shop just said it wasn't his "thing" but if I could bring him a picture he could do it. They had tons of cartoons, tribal, and weird stuff...but nothing that was me.

If someone comes up with something that I love I will get the ink and give them full credit! LOL. It will be on the uppermost part of my leg.

I am also looking for something smaller and pretty to place on my...er...upper chest??LOL. I went with the ideal of forget-me-nots, but they had nothing that grabbed me. SO if anyone has any ideas on that one. NOTHING tribal...just don't care for it that much but something graphic would be cool.

I just got the notion to ask here and see if AQ folks would have any ideas. Post your pictures if you got them. I know the site has quite a few talented artist (Hint...Roan...your name comes to mind! LOL). You all could help me decide on something and I will post a pic of the finished tattoo.

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
Try checking out BME It is a body modification ezine that has tons and tons of user submitted photos, all divided into different categories. I have gotten the inspiration for many of my tattoos from there. Good luck and be careful, they are incredibly addicting!!!!!! :dance:

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Thanks Bitsy. I looked there earlier today. There was some neat (some freaky :eek: )Only thing is after viewing 150 images you either have to pay or post a photo. I have been looking all over the web since about 4 this afternoon.
I decided I would get both I want at one time and be done with it. LOL.

kill_a_watt

didnt u know?
Dec 24, 2005
New Zealand
do tattos hurt? i mean theres a needle injecting ink into ur skin wouldnt that Hurt Ouch ! i wish i could get one but yea :p im only 14

Lauren

Say hello to my lilttle friends
Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
Yes, they hurt. Is there another shop you could try? Or is that the only one around you?

xauz

AC Members
Jan 9, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I don't think they hurt, but then I have a high pain threshold. as far as which colors age the best, it all depends on the person. I have a tiger ripping through the skin on my left arm and a snake coming through my left arm, both are supposed to have yellow eyes, but unfortunatly I don't hold yellow very well and both faded after only about a year. My friend can't hold red.

here's what mine look like:

Last edited:

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
sublime1184 said:
bbest tattoo arthist ive seen is paul booth...i bookmared hios page, http://www.darkimages.com/tattoos.asp?AID=3 caouthion though, i'tds inda mathrure viewonng though...

Wow...definately for mature audiences but some really amazing artwork. I just don't think it's quite "me". I mean, I really think some of the demons would just scare the crap out of me and scar my kids for life :eek: :D Thanks for the link..I did enjoy the artwork.

BTW....I can guess just from your posting style you will have one heck of a headache this morning. :)

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
xauz, those are amazing! I knew some people hold color more than others. My sister has to go every few years for a touchup on her whites but holds her yellows fine, my friend won't hold yellow...so she went with blue on last touchup and it now has a green look. LOL
Thanks for sharing your pics.

Yep, I know they will hurt but that really isn't a concern for me. It will only hurt for a while.

The shop I went into is the one with the best reputation in the area. They do some beautiful things, but just not quite what I had in mind. There are two others but they are a little more seedier. One just re-opened after the health department closed them down. Uh....nope..not using them! LOL

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Just fyi..a lot of places that the health dept closes down are safest right after they reopen becasue they have had to pass through a more rigerous inspection to reopen, and they know they are being watched.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store