Pleco upside down

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fyrefly13

AC Members
Jul 20, 2006
Hello,

This past week i lost both my Dalmation mollys. This morning my big (9-10") Pleco was floating upside down, I thought he was dead. When I gently pulled him over to where I could see him, he started wiggling. Then I could see his abdomen was puffy. I gently touched it and he flipped over and swam to the bottom. He kept trying to stay upright but I'm sure when i get home from work he will be floating or dead, i'm afraid. I put some Maracyn-Two in the tank and took out the carbon. Does anyone think he has swim bladder? My brother had a goldfish that would swim upside down for a week or so but then miraculously recover. Should I move him to a hospital tank and if so, what do I need to put in it? (Air stone, heater, etc.)

I love this fish so much! Help!! :confused:

chrismidi

AC Members
Jul 21, 2006
Bolton, Lancs, England
definatly quarentine him ! treat with a commercial swimbladder treatment (your local store should help)
as to what to put in your 'hospital' tank - the less the better
no substate but good filtration and increase the 'night time' (leave the lights out for longer)

hope he recovers soon

chris

fyrefly13

AC Members
Jul 20, 2006
Thank you, I feel like I want to leave work and help him lol. Hopefully he'll still be kickin' when I get home! He is an awesome fish. Thank you for your help!

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
How big a tank is he in? If he's stunted he'll have swim bladder like symptoms and it is incurable.

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
Swim bladder problems can sometimes be righted by very frequent water changes...do as many as you can. I dont think you need to put him in a q-tank, but you can if you want.

fyrefly13

AC Members
Jul 20, 2006
He is in about a 33 gal. tank. I hardly do any water changes, only when it gets cloudy. I have a had a lot of luck with the tank, not really any problems. I used to test the water but it didn't seem to make a difference either way.

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
If he has been in that tank very long he is definitely stunted. 33 gallons is in no way at all appropriate for a nine inch fish, and plecos are incredibly dirty fish. It is likely as well then that the pleco's pollution of the water killed your mollies.

Healthy plecos reach 18 inches plus. You need a new home for that fish.

Good luck in any case.

ninjaseal

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
hey graphic that is tiger barb as ur avatar? if so wat kind..

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
Water changes should be done (usually) weekly, unless you are VERY lightly stocked. Sounds like you need to have been doing weekly or bi weekly changes of at least 35%. Start p on the WC regime slowly, do 20% a day, dont want to shock the fish too much. But keep up with it and he might pull through. (And get a larger tank for him!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store