Marine Discussion: Beating the Heat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Adding air movement is fairly effective at promoting evaporative cooling--but this means that you'll lose a lot of water in the tank, so plan on either doing mroe frequent water changes (preferable, IMO, prevents changes in water chemistry), or add topoff water more often. If you go with topping off, try using RO water to reduce the accumulation of minerals.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
Nice article Kask. I keep a fan on my tank and an eye on the thermometer. We got 35C for a few days and my tank hovered at about 80F with the pc lights on. Blind sclosed during the day, I have no a/c. I took a refrigerated (not frozen) gel pack and wrapped it around my filter but this wasn't necessary. The fish tolerated 80 just fine, with a breeze, that helps some. Airpump is a good idea for smaller tanks that can heat up more than big ones, of course.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
My tanks run hot (81-84+) much of the year and in midsummer will reach about 86F. Never had a problem (it seems odd that you would lose fish because of 84F...a temp. frequently used for treatment).

In any case, turning off the lights, popping hoods open and creating air movement across the surface are the easiest, IME.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Same here, Leo. I keep my cichlid tank fairly warm, ..82F and I've never witnessed any stress or heavy breathing from any of my fish. In an over-crowded/under-aerated tank, I suppose it could be a problem, though.

FishSeller

AC Members
Apr 28, 2005
Unless your tanks are breaking 90 degrees, short periods of warmer water won't hurt your fish. Here in Florida, your fish are raised in outdoor ponds that stay in the mid 80's all summer long. OG is right, a little surface agitation will cool your water if you feel it is a pressing issue.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
well i have a chiller and when my tank temp use to get to high id freeze bottles of water with a drop of prime in each of them then float them in my tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store