Article Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
This thread is for new article suggestions. If you have a suggestion, or would like to write an article, please post here.

Thanks

Blue

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
fish_freak said:
Fishless Cycleing.
I'm pretty sure Rbishop's working on this one. Right, Bob? The article that's in FW Newbie is just Part 1.

Wait, here's the outline he e-mailed to me.
Part I - Cycling Basics.
Part II - The Nitrogen Cycle in Depth.
Part III - Established Media Transfer Cycling.
Part IV - Fishless Cycling Details.
Part V - Fishy Cycling Details.
Part VI - Other Options and Methods.
Part VII - Tank Water Chemistry.

...keep in mind, this is from August. He may have changed it since then ;)

Last edited:

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
ID'ing different freshwater inverts- shrimp, crawdads, etc.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It will be up for review this Saturday evening.

vidiots

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
Wakefield, New Hampshire
Newbie Stocking Method Suggestion.

Hello,
I keep running into methods of using the size of the fish as a guide for newbies to use when stocking their tanks. These various methods usually seem to get them into trouble.

I was thinking of a more universal measure of tank stock level. It would be in ppm nitrate buildup per week. This method would only require a test kit, but would show a newbie relatively quickly after they've cycled their tank wether or not they have over done it, and may prevent them from making additional purchases.

An article like this would require more input experience than I have, but I think it can be done. Here are my initial thoughts on such a rule just throwing numbers out for example knowing others might disagree with the values:

<5ppm nitrate per week = light fish load
5-10ppm per week = Medium fish load
10-20ppm per week = Heavy fish load
>20ppm per week = Over stocked.

The problem I can see with a rule like this is that it's measured after the fact, as opposed to before purchase. But this too could be companstated for by labeling species of fish with typical range of ppm nitrate per week per gallon or per 10gallons (since 10 is a nice round number and common tank size for newbies), for an adult of that species.

I'm thinking that possible other uses for this might be to help them determine if they are over or under feeding.

Another complication might be plants and algae consuming nitrate and throwing off the results.

Any thoughts?

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
fballguy said:
Do we have an article explaining the difference between hermaphroditic and asexual? If not I will write up a short one.
Sounds great. Post it in the article section under freshwaer when you are done. It will be moved for review for 7 days as is standard for all articles.

Blue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store