Thoughts on Christmas Moss as Substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snickle

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
I have some Christmas moss on order planing to do a moss wall backdrop in my plecos/cherry shrimp tank. Hoping to control the ammonia levels. Plecos generate lots of waste. Duh.

I have seen a few things about using java or Christmas moss as flooring in a tank.

How about the floor and back wall of the tank all covered in Chirstmas moss, instead of a gravel substrate.

Thoughts?

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
What about putting it on top of a ugf plate? Once it grows out you'll never know the plate is there, and you can lift it up to vacuum under it.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
If you wanted to do the back wall you could use the grid type things they do needle point with. That is what I am going to do on my 5 gal hex next weekend. I've been looking for something more natural for it. I already have a java moss carpet in my 10 gallon and it looks great. As for cleaning it I just take it out( it's attached to thin pieces of slate) and brush it with a toothbrush. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store