bio load of oto cats?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

txaggies07

My fish are happy...i think
Dec 22, 2006
College Station, TX
Does anyone know the bio load of oto cats? I was just curious since the 6 I have in my 46g aren't exactly cutting it and I would like to introduce more. However, I am running out of space to try to adhere to an inch per gallon type rule. Is their bio load large or small or regular?

Last edited:

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
What else is in the tank? Generally speaking I'd say they're on the small side for bioload, but it really depends on how much is in the tank for if you can add more or not.

txaggies07

Dec 22, 2006
College Station, TX
The list is wrong in my signature
Well...right now...
7 Black Skirt Tetras
6 Gold Pristella Tetras
5 Blue Tetras
3 Mollies
2 Platys
2 Dwarf Gouramis
2 African Dwarf Frogs

The tank is pretty heavily planted.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
don't follow the inch per gallon rule. your tank is not overstocked. in fact you can add some more otos. what do you mean by "they are not cutting it?"

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
I assume he means he's got an algae problem that the otto's aren't clearing up unassisted.

The fact that it's a heavily planted tank leads me to believe that he probably has too much light and not enough ferts for his plants which is leading to high algae, but that's just a rough guess based on what little info he's given.

But yeah, you could deffinantly put a few more ottos in there if you wanted.

txaggies07

Dec 22, 2006
College Station, TX
I have the light and the ferts...the problem right now is the CO2. I have a leak in my system that I just dont have time to fix yet (next week or maybe later). I had to CAEs, and they kept the tank spotless. However, they became agressive and I had to give them away. I put the otos in a week or two ago and since then algae has started growing very quickly and the otos just cant keep up. The otos seem to like the plants much more than the algae. I was also thinking about adding a candystripe pleco. Everything I read says they only get to about 4 inches.

confusion

AC Members
Jun 3, 2006
I've been in your position, and to be honest, oto's don't do a darn thing to algae. I tried otos, rubber lip plecos, snails and SAEs and none of them made a noticable impact on algae. It wasn't until I started fertilizing and adding CO2 properly that the algae subsided.

Now don't get me wrong, a tank with a bunch of oto's is a lot of fun to watch. And rubber lip plecos are very cool too.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
in my experience, Oto's will tear through Red/Brown Algae... they love it.

I don't know about green algae though. they may not be too into that.

they are such small fish i don't think their bioload is anything too substantial.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store