Complete newbie-new 46g bowfron&#

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
sorry im late :D
an algea wafer every couple of days would do fine for a snail or two

for a 46 gallon you could have
top: 6 marbled or silver or marbled hatchets
mid-top: 2 angelfish (they eat neons and cardinals)
mid- bottom: 2 schools of 6 tetras besides neons and cardinals (so you could have lemon tetras, diamond tetras, red eye tetras, black skirt tetras etc.) OR one big one of 12
bottom: 6 corydoras like peppered, juhli, or schwartz's (if you get pandas you can either bump up the tetras number to 14 [altogether, for example, two schools of 7 or one of 6 and the other 8, or one of 14] or you could raise the corydoras number to 7)
all over: 2 snails

P00rColl3geBoi

AC Members
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks jm1212, if I stocked my tank with the amount of fish you recommended, would it still be okay to still have a ram or a dwarf gourami. I kind of would like to have a centerpiece fish. if I do get a centerpiece fish, how many fish would I need to take out of the schools of fish you mentioned? Thanks :)

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
P00rColl3geBoi said:
I have another question, I some of you guys buy fish from the internet. How do they get shipped? It's pretty cold here in Ohio right now, how do they insure teh fish stays warm while being shipped, it kind of bothers me when I think about fish being mailed since it could take a few days between being shipped and when I receive it. Maybe wehn I'm more at peace with the idea, I may think about purchasing from a reliable internet company since my LFS doesn't have taht huge a selection of fish.
Where in Ohio? Columbus and Cleveland have some choice fish stores.

P00rColl3geBoi

AC Members
Nov 8, 2006
I live in Dayton...so an hour away from Columbus and 3-4 hours away from Cleveland. Where in Columbus, I might check it out.

mrlimpet

AC Members
May 15, 2005
just to give you an idea, here's a pic of my 46G bowfront back when i had 2 blood parrots, 2 bolivian rams, and 2 bristlenose plecos in it. as you can see, the blood parrots get pretty large...

large enough to snack on smaller schooling fish.

mrlimpet

AC Members
May 15, 2005
no problem PCB.

i'm not trying to discourage you by any means. blood parrots can certainly be your centerpiece fish and you can have schooling fish with them, but they better be fast! :)

good luck and post some pics when you're stocked. would love to see what you decide on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store