1 w/ dropsy 1 w/ paralyzed mouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

omplmpa3

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Wisconsin
A member suggested I bring my problem to Koko's Goldfish Forum. After becoming a member, I tried to post several times but it would not show up in the forum. So I'm back.

• Test Results for the Following:
• * Ammonia Level 0
• * Nitrite Level 0
• * Nitrate level 10-15
• * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
• * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8 water is not softened and comes directly from a well
• Other Required Info:
• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
• * Water temperature? 74
• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallon breeder, running a year
• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear 75
• * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 35%-50%
• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sunday 50%
• * How many fish in the tank and their size? two small fancy goldfish under 2 inches and three medium sized goldfish under 4 inches, excluding their tail fins
• * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat Plus
• * What do you feed your fish and how often? Aquadine goldfish flakes along with aquadine veggie flakes, small earthworms. Fish are fed small portions 2-3 times a day.
• * Any new fish added to the tank? the two small goldfish brought in anchor worm
• * Any medications added to the tank? not at present
• * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) anchor worm
• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Coppersafe along with Maracyn Two per instructions, then Coppersafe along with T.C. Tetracycline per instructions. This was in attempt to clear the vicious anchor worm outbreak. Treating the tank with Clout, per instructions, finally eradicated the anchor worms.
• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One of the medium sized goldfish has dropsy and another medium sized goldfish has some sort of mouth paralysis.
• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? The fish with dropsy, Domino, looks like a pinecone. He’s a telescope eye so it’s hard to tell if his eyes are bulging or not. He occasionally flashes against the gravel and is somewhat listless at times but he still has his appetite. Monty, an oranda, has what looks like a paralyzed mouth or lock jaw. Monty got the worst of the anchor worms, to the point that he had almost two dozen inside his mouth. I sedated him with MS 222 and removed what I could with forceps, I did not find any other obstructions. At this point his mouth was already stuck open and I could not get his lower jaw to shut, for lack of a better word it was stuck. Monty made no effort to eat at this time. I thought that the anchor worms in the mouth made it uncomfortable for him to eat or perhaps any ulcers they may have caused triggered swelling. It’s been over a week and I am able to close Monty’s mouth but he is not. He swims along the bottom and tries to shovel food in with no success. I have tried force feeding him a slurry with a small syringe, it only holds 1 mL, but the food just floats back out. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone may have. Thank you so much!

These pictures were taken on Sunday.

IMG_1369.JPGIMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG IMG_1371.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store