10 gallon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tootie123

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
:help: I have a 10 gallon rectangular aquarium with an aqua-tech filter(5-15 gallons) and a thermometer.I was wondering would this set up be ok for a small goldfish.:confused: I was at Petsmart and saw that they had these small little fantails for .99 cents.:eek: I really want one but can it stay in the 10 gallon aquarium?The temperature stays in the 70's.He would be all alone and he would be upgraded to a 20 gallon by christmas.Can anyone give me some things i'd need.I really want to get one!

:dance2: :dog:

BIGgourami

One With the Fish
Apr 30, 2007
rolling meadows,IL
i would say no. if you started with the 20 and moved to a 55 by christmas then yes, but they grow far too quickly to be kept in a 10 for more than a very few months.
why not do bettas or guppies or a dwarf gourami?

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
The 10 gallon would be okay, as long as you can upgrade at Christmas. They do outgrow a 10 gallon tank.

You'll need to do frequent water changes, especially if you get the fish before the cycle. You may want to do a fishless cycle to avoid having the fish go through it. If not, don't be surprised if you're changing some water every day. Frequent water changes are important, even after the tank is cycled. One of the things that contributes to "stunting" in goldfish is a hormone they release that builds up in water that isn't changed frequently enough. That's why it's important to be committed to frequent water changes.

You'll need a good water conditioner like Prime. That product will convert small amounts of ammonia and nitrite to a less toxic form. You'll need a good test kit for water parameters, and you'll need a high quality, preferably sinking food.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
One of the things that contributes to "stunting" in goldfish is a hormone they release that builds up in water that isn't changed frequently enough.
Is there any proof that this is true? I always consider this a myth or the fish would have remained stunted in their whole life especially those stuck in puddles on droughts such as killifish. I'd love to see the proof behind this. This has been talked in the other forum I frequent and this was also considered a myth. I don't get how people would really suggest they excrete hormone that will eventually stunt their own growth too.:confused:

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
The reality of stress hormones inhibiting growth in goldfish is well established. It's thought that it can be minimized with pristine water conditions when goldfish are housed temporarily in tank sizes that aren't optimum. Even one goldfish in a lark tank will be stunted if water quality is neglected. I'm sure you could find some articles about it on line. Fish that are naturally inclined to live in small amounts of water are not likely to produce stress hormones as a result of more cramped conditions.

I don't know why it would be hard to believe. Seems to me it's just yet another example of many of the principle of adaptation.

Corvina

Registered Member
Mar 31, 2007
My 5 year old Fantail (Goldie) in a 60 gallon tank. (w/one other goldfish, 3"ryukin)

DSC02515.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store