10 Gallon Paludarium - First one!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I think that newts would be better than FBT's for the shelf set-up, although I don't have much experience with them.

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
Alright, I'll do a little research, thanks!

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
Well, I researched them and it seems that they need a lot of swimming space, so that would limit me to only 1 fire bellied newt. Does anyone have any suggestions about any semi aquatic livestock that would be fit for my 10 gallon shelf set up?

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
I'm still shadey about whether Fire bellied toads will work, Please someone give me some advice!

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
The shelf is roughly a triangle that is 20x4, so that gives it 40 square inches, probably a tad bit more.

The water surface area is a triangle roughly 20x5, making it about 50 square inche, but maybe a little more again.

The water volume is about 20x5.5x6, so about 65 inches cubed (i think that is about 4 gallons).

I was thinking about just doing a betta and a couple ADFs, does anyone think this would work? Other semi aquatic suggestions are still welcome, THanks! (Especially user_name :) )

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
ADFs are fully aquatic and though 4 gallons is enough for two or three, it is not the best choice to mix them with FBTs. There really isn't a whole lot that can be mixed with FBTs (in regards to other amphibians). The toxins in FBTs will not be released into the water in great enough amounts to cause an issue with fish. I had some FBTs with a few guppies a long time ago and when the frogs shed their skin, the guppies would pick at it and try to eat it but even with that kind of exposure, there was never an issue.

In a tank of that size I would do a few FBTs, with a betta or a few male endlers.

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
When I said a few AFDs and a betta I meant without the FBTs. I'm probably going to biuld the tank before I decide on stocking, which do you think would be more space-friendly? (the FBT with betta or AFDs with betta?) Thanks for your help, I'm probably going to turn this into a journal type thing in the furure, so I can't wait to get started!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store