10 Gallon Stocking List?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lolapetrovik

AC Members
Apr 27, 2020
Canada
Hi everyone!

I am pretty new to the hobby and have been researching and looking at ideas for stocking a 10 gallon that I have yet to plant and cycle. I have written down a few stock lists that I have seen for a 10 gallon aquarium and I would like to paste them over here to see what other more experienced keepers have to say about them.
Please feel free to critique and give more information about each list; whether it would work or not, or if you have tried one of these combos.

1. 1 Male Betta + 6 Ember Tetras + 2 Snails
  2. 7 Celestial Pearl Danios + 2 Snails OR 10-15 Shrimp (10 Ghost Shrimp OR 15 Cherry Shrimp)
  3. 30 Shrimp (15+ Cherry Shrimp OR 10+ Amano Shrimp OR 15+ Blue Velvet Shrimp OR 10+ Ghost Shrimp) [Cherry Shrimp + Amano Shrimp OR Blue Velvet Shrimp + Amano Shrimp] + 2 Snails
  4. 3 Peacock Gudgeons (1 Male + 2 Females) + 2 Snails OR 5-10 Shrimp (5 Ghost Shrimp OR 10 Cherry Shrimp)
  5. 6 Scarlet Badis + 3 Snails
  6. 10 Male Endler’s Livebearers + 5-10 Shrimp (5 Ghost Shrimp OR 10 Cherry Shrimp) + 1 Snail
  7. 10 Tetras (10 Green Neon Tetras OR 10 Ember Tetras) + 5-10 Shrimp (5 Ghost Shrimp OR 10 Cherry Shrimp)
  8. 10 Sparkling Gouramis (3 Male + 7 Females) + 1 Snail
  9. 10 Chili Rasboras + 3-6 Shrimp (3 Ghost Shrimp OR 6 Cherry Shrimp)
  10. 6 Gertrude’s Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish OR 6 Red Neon Blue Eye Rainbowfish + 5-10 Shrimp (5 Ghost Shrimp OR 10 Cherry Shrimp) + 2 Snails

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Ony couple things that I can pick out are that
  1. number 5 won't work. Virtually all scarlet badis being sold are male, and females are literally non existent due to the lack of color so nobody collects them
  2. number 6. Dial it down to 8 endlers.
  3. number 7- green neons get too active 10 gallon aquarium
Thats about all I can pick out.

lolapetrovik

AC Members
Apr 27, 2020
Canada
Ony couple things that I can pick out are that
  1. number 5 won't work. Virtually all scarlet badis being sold are male, and females are literally non existent due to the lack of color so nobody collects them
  2. number 6. Dial it down to 8 endlers.
  3. number 7- green neons get too active 10 gallon aquarium
Thats about all I can pick out.
Thanks so much for the input! I'll definitely edit the list according to this.

Reactions: CichlidFins

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Theres a bit more I could pick out but I don't know enough about the species to confirm my thoughts :)

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
If I were you, I would go with number 10 of your options, rainbowfish is a beautiful fish. But in a tank of at least 20 or 25 gallons. IMO, 10 gallons is very small, I had a 30 gallon tank that was easy and quick to fill.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Are you talking about a "mystery" or a small rams horn snails? Mysterys crap a lot! & may eat plants or worse? lay eggs above the water. You don't want either issue in a small tank...& maybe not in a larger 1. I like rams horns but they reproduce well, probably too well. Skip snails.

My thoughts: 10 cherry shrimp OR other neocaridina is enough. Almost any fish will eat tiny shrimplets if they can. But that's ok in a reproducing group, you'll get more than plenty. Amanos get surprisingly large as do ghosts but I haven't kept either.

In a heavily planted 10g I had 8 or 10 cherry shrimp to start with & 6 tiny rasbora maculata (similar to chilis). The rasboras were similar in size & color so were not easy to see. Maybe blue velvets instead, they're very pretty! Any neos will interbreed, so just get 1 color or you'll end up with boring pale brown-ish shrimp. I used to give away a LOT of cherry shrimp

I'm not a fan of livebearers...but maybe 5? MALE endlers, you don't have room for them to reproduce either. With 8-10 neo shrimp (again all the same color but not as the fish)

You could have a betta instead. It would have fun hunting for shrimplets...Wait to add 1 until your plants grow well & your shrimp reproduce, a betta may try to eat adult neo shrimp too, it depends on the betta & hiding places for the shrimp.

My CPDs were very much hiders in a 20g plant tank with cherry shrimp & rosy loaches. I thought them too shy & boring...ALL!

Go with less sparkler gouramis, say 5? & some neo shrimp.

I think a trio of PGs will need more room than a 10g, but again I have no experience. Same with badis, but 6 seems too many..

lolapetrovik

AC Members
Apr 27, 2020
Canada
If I were you, I would go with number 10 of your options, rainbowfish is a beautiful fish. But in a tank of at least 20 or 25 gallons. IMO, 10 gallons is very small, I had a 30 gallon tank that was easy and quick to fill.
Alright, I'll look into getting a larger tank and keeping rainbowfish:)

lolapetrovik

AC Members
Apr 27, 2020
Canada
Are you talking about a "mystery" or a small rams horn snails? Mysterys crap a lot! & may eat plants or worse? lay eggs above the water. You don't want either issue in a small tank...& maybe not in a larger 1. I like rams horns but they reproduce well, probably too well. Skip snails.

My thoughts: 10 cherry shrimp OR other neocaridina is enough. Almost any fish will eat tiny shrimplets if they can. But that's ok in a reproducing group, you'll get more than plenty. Amanos get surprisingly large as do ghosts but I haven't kept either.

In a heavily planted 10g I had 8 or 10 cherry shrimp to start with & 6 tiny rasbora maculata (similar to chilis). The rasboras were similar in size & color so were not easy to see. Maybe blue velvets instead, they're very pretty! Any neos will interbreed, so just get 1 color or you'll end up with boring pale brown-ish shrimp. I used to give away a LOT of cherry shrimp

I'm not a fan of livebearers...but maybe 5? MALE endlers, you don't have room for them to reproduce either. With 8-10 neo shrimp (again all the same color but not as the fish)

You could have a betta instead. It would have fun hunting for shrimplets...Wait to add 1 until your plants grow well & your shrimp reproduce, a betta may try to eat adult neo shrimp too, it depends on the betta & hiding places for the shrimp.

My CPDs were very much hiders in a 20g plant tank with cherry shrimp & rosy loaches. I thought them too shy & boring...ALL!

Go with less sparkler gouramis, say 5? & some neo shrimp.

I think a trio of PGs will need more room than a 10g, but again I have no experience. Same with badis, but 6 seems too many..
Thank you so much for the input! It's super helpful :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you can get a larger tank, yeah! You can have many more options. A 20g long tank (12" x 20" x 12" high is my favorite small tank! If that a possibility do it! (or a 55g+ tank!, even more options!) Then we all can start over with what all you might like to have for inhabitants.

If you are in love with certain species, fish or invert, & can be flexible about tank size, tell us! We'll try to help, it's fun for us too ya know, either tanks we've had or wished we did...(or didn't work after all).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store