Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

10 gallon tank help

Discussion in 'Anabantoids' started by Jazmin0303, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jazmin0303

Jazmin0303 AC Members

Sunday at 9:51 PM
    I’ve been trying to get my own bucket and will be doing so soon, I just need to wait until I have money again.

I was making sure the water stayed as clean as possible and was going to do another water change soon.

From the research that I’ve done, I’ve read that Betta fish may sometimes bite their own tails if they’re under too much stress or if the weight of their tails is too much for them (too big of a tail, making it harder for them to move around). I mentioned tail biting because the rips were new, not even a day old.

They happened yesterday and got worse throughout the day, it wasn’t from the plants because it wasn’t like regular rips (long and thin along the whole fin). It looked like he had literally chomped off a piece from the tip of his tail.

Well I was standing next to her and she was holding the strip and the sheet up to herself, the sheet was a small thing on the bottle of the strips. I could see the colors but I couldn’t read the numbers, they were too small and I wasn’t close enough to see them.

Thanks again everyone. Unfortunately, Clifford passed away this morning.. the snail was on top of him when I looked in the tank, I guess it was eating him...

I plan on getting another Betta, but I’ll probably try to at least get the water testing kit, a bucket and some live plants in the tank first and leave it running a while longer before I buy another fish.

I appreciate all the help that I received. Thank you all for being patient with me and my mistakes.

2. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    10 minutes ago
    Joel
    Oh man, sorry about that.

Like said, get your water changing supplies in order, along with your own water testing kit and have at it again. You can do this!

Jazmin0303 likes this.
  3. Jazmin0303

Jazmin0303 AC Members

Sunday at 9:51 PM
    Thank you for the encouragement! I was thinking I might try adding Pygmy cories or neons tetras after getting everything in order but before adding the Betta.. I guess we’ll see how this goes

4. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Yesterday at 9:44 PM
    I'm so sorry Clifford died, it's always difficult but especially the first time it happens. You've learned a lot & tried hard. I'm sure you'll do better next betta & you still have the snail to watch, they're interesting too.

When it's time for another betta, if there's a choice between a smaller (younger) fish & a very big 1, get the smaller. Of course you want a pretty colored 1 & may have strong opinions on fin types but once fish are adult there's no way to know age. Study each fish you're considering. Look for healthy fins, eyes, gills & scales. Not too fat or skinny, no bumps, lumps or white areas (dots or patches). It's hard to tell in those little cups but an active fish is probably healthier.

Jazmin0303 likes this.