10 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
Hi! I have a 10 gallon tank with black gravel in it, I have a fluorescent light on top and plan to either put two female bettas or one male along with some neon tetras. What are some low tech plants I could have? Preferably ones that don’t need fertilizer. Also I’m putting little pieces of spider wood in the tank

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
I wouldn’t do more than one betta in a 10 or any neons in a 10. Everywhere I’ve seen has said neons need a 20 because they are too active. When doing a betta sorority, you need 5+ females to spread aggression, and a 10 gallon isn’t enough space for that. That being said, you could do a female or male betta with 6-10 micro schooling fish like ember tetras or any type of boraras. :) they only get 0.5 to 0.75 inch long so a 10 gallon is fine for them (and they like the same conditions bettas do)! However always have a backup plan because every fish is different and your betta might try to kill everything.

As for plants, you could do water wisteria, water sprite, anubias, java fern, bolbitis, hornwort, or any floating plants!

Reactions: CichlidFins

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
I wouldn’t do more than one betta in a 10 or any neons in a 10. Everywhere I’ve seen has said neons need a 20 because they are too active. When doing a betta sorority, you need 5+ females to spread aggression, and a 10 gallon isn’t enough space for that. That being said, you could do a female or male betta with 6-10 micro schooling fish like ember tetras or any type of boraras. :) they only get 0.5 to 0.75 inch long so a 10 gallon is fine for them (and they like the same conditions bettas do)! However always have a backup plan because every fish is different and your betta might try to kill everything.

As for plants, you could do water wisteria, water sprite, anubias, java fern, bolbitis, hornwort, or any floating plants!
Alright, thank you! I assume those plants can grow in gravel and don’t need fertilizer? Just the lighting and they will grow? Obviously they’ll take some nutrients from fish waste. And thank you for the information! I’ll probably do 1 male betta and some tetras in the tank, thanks!

Reactions: Sunlight

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You could do a group of celestial pearl danios along with a single male betta. In terms of plants that may work with your fluorescent lighting; Java fern, anubia, java moss, etc.

Reactions: fishorama

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I grow Ludwigia repens, guppy grass and Saggitaria as well in just this set up, but there are lots of other low light plants. What kind of fluorescent tube is it exactly?

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
I grow Ludwigia repens, guppy grass and Saggitaria as well in just this set up, but there are lots of other low light plants. What kind of fluorescent tube is it exactly?
I have the aqueon lid/light combo if that helps, just a basic fluorescent light, I’m not sure the exact type. Thank you for the plant suggestions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store