100 gallon near tragedy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
I have not been on these forums in forever. Had two really busy "fish tank-oriented days" on Friday and Saturday.

Friday afternoon, I noticed a substantial leak on my 100-gallon glass tank, left side vertical seam, about halfway up the glass from bottom to top. Oh, man. ???

Got busy. Drained water into several clean buckets, used these as "refugee camps" for the fish. Nearly all of our fish are "rescues." Whenever somebody moves and can't take their fish, we take them. 7 Serpae tetras, 5 small goldfish, 4 corydoras, 1 clown loach, 1 pictus cat, 1 pleco. Got a big tote to house the plants, which luckily I keep potted in a long, rectangular window box with substrate....the window box (rectangular plastic) made saving the plants easy. ???

Fortunately, we had a 55-gallon tank I was going to build for my wife. Took the better part of Saturday, on and off, to get it all moved over. Used the same gravel, re-used a bit of the other tank's water, about a 50% water change at the end of transfer.

I have two buckets of gravel that I'm going to have to rinse and dry out, but it's summer, and I have a lot of buckets, now.

The fish are probably thinking, "Hey, we moved from a spacious house, and into a condo!" ?

On a separate note: I had been running a UGF for fifteen years continuously, with a Marineland Magnum 350 pulling through it (not reverse). I thought the strong filter would do the job to keep the area under the plates clean....it did not. I've always been conscientious with water changes and changing/cleaning filter media, but I was unprepared by the sheer volume of foul-smelling muck that was there when I broke down that 100-gallon tank. ???

The 55-gallon tank I used to house the fish that were living in the 100-gallon...NO UGF. Just smooth gravel, sponge prefilter, micron pleated filter, cheesy Bio-Wheel. That's it. Not going back to UGF's. Just water changes, regular gravel cleaning (as I've always done combined with water changes) and PM for the filters (media changes when needed).

When I rebuild the 100-gallon tank, no UGF.

Just glad my fish are healthy, okay, eating, and back to their original hijinks as "television for my cats."

NA

20210704_123155.jpg

Reactions: JEGuerra and dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome back, sorry for the problems with the 100G tank, great call on moving everyone to the 55G, it looks great!

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
Thanks much, Sir Dudley. The water really is more clear in that 55g without a UGF.

It seemed the UGF assembly I had on the 100g was always releasing microscopic material into the water column, eternally tinting the water. Every water change over the last decade proved that, and I was almost at the point of using diatomaceous earth filtering.

I guess the moral of the story is "don't install tank equipment you can't maintain." There's no way to get at the mulm under the UGF plates without tearing down the whole tank. I really thought the Marineland Magnum 350 had enough "oomph" to keep the area under the UGF plates clean.

At least now I can just vacuum gravel knowing that I can get it all. ?

There's a pair of ancient (but in great condition) Eheim 2217's on my kitchen table right now that I had not had time to assemble for eons. Yes, years. Really, really wanted to get this done, but life was always getting in the way. I just finished installing the different layers of media into one of them.

When I get the 100g back up, big future plans. Very long range plans:
- Use an Eheim 2400 pump to pull water from the tank into a 25-micron Nu Clear filter.
- Downstream of that will be a 100-micron Nu Clear filter.
- Downstream of the second Nu Clear will ber a "Y" coupling to split the flow, to that pair of Eheim 2217's.

It will be many months before I can get to this project. Looking forward to switching to Eheim gear later this year. ??

NA

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store