125 gallon planted project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
They're next to impossible to get clear pics of. They blend into the bareness of the quarantine tank and are very skittish to boot. There's a couple new ones I just posted in my ich thread for them but it's only to post about a concern I have, the pics of the fish aren't that good as you can see here.
IMG_20210329_201932887.jpg

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
All of them look identical in appearance. My best guess is size makes the gender difference because the instance I saw two in a courtship dance the size discrepancy was apparent between them.

There's not much general info I could find about hatchets online either. The most bare bones basic factoids and that was about it.

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
The pic was taken a few hours after they ate, so their bellies were still full. Which btw, weird fact. Their innards are all crammed into that tiny space and their poop comes out in front of the anal fin (so right in the bottom middle of the body). This pygmy hatchet (Carnegiella myersi) gives a visual idea. Already thought these fish were peculiar but the more I learn the more I'm mystified.

As for their size, most are full grown with some a bit smaller. And given how they've just developed the black on their dorsal fins, I'd wager they're all young adults.

Reactions: Wyomingite
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store