125 gallon stocking plan

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

Just bought a 125 gallon tank and am planning to stock it with discus. Will be using a fluval FX6 filter. The tank will be next to a sink, so twice weekly water changes won’t be be too hard. I’ve kept discus in a 75 gallon before, so I’m most curious about the suitability of the Tankmates.

6-8 discus
2 dozen cardinals
1 dozen lemon tetras
1 dozen Sterbai cories
1 dozen marbled hatchetfish
Pair of blue rams
Pair of curviceps
6 checkerboard cichlids

Just a light covering of sand and driftwood. And some echonidoris plasticus. ;)

It’s a lot of ditherfish, but it’s a big tank.

I could cut out the checkerboards, and go with six hatchetfish or six cories, but I have always hoped to have a tank where I could observe shoaling behavior from cories. If there was room, i would add more cories.
Thoughts?

Cheers,

Nate

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds sweet. This is a standard 6ft 125g? Maybe up the number of corys and hatchets and skip the curviceps and cichlids?

The most hatchets I ever kept together was 10 in a 29g and I found them fun to keep. Like you say, corys are more comfortable and fun to watch in big numbers too.

6yrs later I only have one remaining hatchet. Even with a glass tops, one by one slowly over time, I'd loose them out of the small gaps for heaters and filters. With the footprint of a 6ft tank things should be much better in terms of that.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would not add all those dithers at the same time, discus are "Fidgety". Go with the 24 Cardinals first. Not sure if the Curviceps will get along with the Rams, but like you said, it is a big tank.
Marble Hatchets are my most loved of Hatchets. With some floating plants (real or fake) they jump less.

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Thanks. Definitely will add fish slowly. Yes, this is a standard 6x18 tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store