Bloated pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pisces15

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2007
I have a common pleco, about 5inches long, that has gotten very bloated the last few days, floats to the top and has trouble swimming to the bottom of my 90 gal. community aquarium. Belly of the fish is very bloated and he also floats upside down. He was moved from a 20 gallon community tank recently where feeding and water changes are somewhat erratic. First week here had no problems and if anything seemed more active and better colored. symptoms started about 2 weeks afete the move and about 5 days ago. The fish has good color, reacts vigourously when touched. Water parameters are fine, all other fish-tetras, platies, danios, corys and otos are healthy. Fish are fed a variety of flake and freeze dried bloodworms and tubliflex, plus algae wafers. Help-, the pleco looks like it could pop!

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
First let's try peas. If it's an intestinal blockage, peas are a natural way to move the block along and treat constipated fish. If your plec will eat them, and does'nt improve in a day, it may well be an internal bacterial problem, requiring meds.

pisces15

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2007
Fish are fed small amounts 2-3 times a day-had read about the peas if it is constipation. Not sure how he would eat it as he is having trouble staying down. Suggestions? Just moved him (?) to a Q tank that has plenty of algae and water parameters almost identical to original tank(well within pleco requirements!) and am being very careful to adapt him slowly to the water. Have added some salt and stress coat. Thanks folks in advance!

dreadboy113

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich. UK
I would say the plec needs more vegetables in his diet. I believe he might be getting too much protein. Just my opinion.

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
Not sure if plecos have swim bladders (like gobies who also live on the bottom), but if they do, yours may have a swim bladder problem. Plecos shouldn't float! Go to a goldfish forum and see what they do for floaty fish (swim bladder probs are extremely common in fancy goldfish). If it's not the swim bladder, the intenstines are blocked and full of air. Different diet will do absolutely no good to your fish in its current state...you need to medicate. Epsom salts and maybe a broad spectrum antibiotic should do it, but check with the goldfish folks on dosage.

When he's back to normal, then feed him a better diet of peas and zuccini until he's cleaned out.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store