2 Gold Gourami in a 20 GAL, Question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

napalmlieu

AC Members
Oct 30, 2016
New Jersey, Trenton
Real Name
Nicholas
Hi guys!! It is now my 3rd day being on this site, and i already feel so welcome! :D:D

But i have a question. Is it okay if i add 2 more female Gold Gourami to my 20 gal?

I went to Aqadvisor, but was still confused...
My Female to male gold gourami ratio is 1 Male - 1 Female. In total it would be 1 Male - 3 Females,but i'm not sure what to do....

(P.S I know if my percent in Aquadvisor is over 80%, it's getting overstocked, so no worries :))

chenning

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
Well that is totally too many fish for a 20L and a non-starter in a 20H. Most people don't know it, because all of the fish in the pet store are stunted or about to be stunted. Gold G's can reach 6" and tend to have a heavy bio-load. 1 in a 20 H is pushing it. I'd stick to dwarfs or pighmy gouramis in a 20 or any sort.

I raise fish out doors during the summer and have Swordtails that reach a good 4", Mollys that push 5". If you put one gold gourami in a kiddie pool over the summer with an aquarium sponge filter it will end up at least 4" if not larger. If you buy 2 put one in the pool the other in a tank, the pool fish will dwarf the tank guy. You can even start with a smaller one in the pool, same result. The fish in the photo below are 4.5" and throw 60-70 fry every six weeks.

Marigold Brooders.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nicholas, the other issue with gold gourami is they can be unbelievably nasty, territorial buggers. If you want two gourami in your 20g (preferably long instead of 20 high), do two female pearl gourami. From what I've experienced with them, you're more apt to not have any aggression issues with pearls, plus they're beautiful fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store