2 male bettas in a 75 gallon tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
It all depends on the two males you have. Those of you saying that you can only keep one male per tank are completely wrong. Sometimes it won't work just because of the attitude of the fish, but if you get the right "pair" so to speak it most certainly will. I kept two males and 3 females together in a 75 gallon with zero problems. In fact they all shoaled around together, and one of the males and females spawned just about every week, and not one single problem. Try it if you want, but you really need to pay attention two both of them for a while and find out if it will work or not. If the tank is heavily planted and lines of sight can be broken easily, you shouldn't have too much of a problem in a space that size, but its still better to watch them and see how they interact with each other. If they start getting agressive with one another its time to remove one, its not worth losing a fish over. See as how I have done it, and know a few other people who have, I can't sit here and tell you that its not possible like a few other know it alls will. It is very possible, they also hardly ever fight to the death in tanks, the fish that do that are the ones that are bred for fighting and will if their owners let them. Most lfs bettas or show fish aren't bred for aggression. Try it, you have a 50-50 chance of it working, just don't let things get out of hand if it doesn't.

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
i heard that in the wild when 2 males meat they both flare up for second and usualy one of them will swim away before they start to fight. So if you have a big enough tank im sure that it would work out if they had enough room to swim far enough away. Unless of course if you have 2 males that just wont give up and leave.

Bean 09876

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2021
HI I'm new here and I just had to say that you can absolutely have 2 male bettas together! I have an 80 gal 10 females and 2 Males. They all do absolutely amazing together! You just have to provide the proper environment for them. My tank is heavily planted with a ton of hiding spots and multiple floating things to entertain my bettas. The males I have are different though, one is a tan and blue koi betta and the other is a purple and white twin tail. From my experience if you have multiple males together it is best to have different species of males. I do not think it is the same with everyone though you really do just need to find the " right pair " so to speak.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store