[20 gal] tiger barb may be sick? (tank story + pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Light11

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Hey guys. well, i have had my tank for around 1-3 months and i have 5 tiger barbs and 1 half blind jack dempsey.

Well my tank started off with the dempsey and 2 barbs. i got 1 barb slight bit bigger than the other and the dempsey would chase the big one and the big barb would chase the small one. eventually my bigger barb killed the smaller one. I then got 4 more (1 month ago) and they are generally the same size and they co-mingle together quite well. the dempsey is also growing quite big. I had a small ick problem that i pretty much got rid of, it may still be there but it is not very noticeable on the fish.

Recently around 2 weeks ago i got a bristle nose pleco, which was quite expensive, and it started acting very weird around 5 days after i got it. It would lie upside down in the dark under my sponge bubbler filter thing which it didnt do before. people said this was normal. It died a few days later only to find that my barbs were ripping its stomach apart. i now have a pretty bad algae problem and i need to get another pleco or something else, (any suggestions?).

Anyway, recently one of my tiger barbs, probably 2nd biggest, has been hiding under the same sponge filter until its fine to feed them he comes right out and act normally as he should, over time he will go back under and move his fins pretty rapidly. My brother, who has a 75 gal, says that he might be sick, what do you guys think i should do? heres some pics of my tank.

ps. theres a bit more in the tank now, 1 big plant and 1 smaller grassy plant. btw the plants are plastic!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC
YES! bawls for the win!!!! i love you!

Light11

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
hi thanks for the reply

i havent done any tests since i dont have any of the test kits but my water temp is around 76-80 and i did a 50% water change a couple days ago.

Light11

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
thats a BAWLS energy drink, its about a year old and i thoroughly washed it before i put it in. also the boat i washed and all the plants.

Gumby131

cod fishing
Feb 4, 2006
Melbourne, VIC
Light11 said:
Do you even think it is sick or maybe just under some stress? any ideas?
well sometimes one of my neons sits in a cave for weeks on end, opnly to come out for a week or so then go back in, he only comes out for food, i dont know what it is, but i have learnd to live with it

Light11

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Alright, ill see what happens. Also, im thinking of getting 1 golden sevrum and an algae eating fish, do you have any suggestions, something rather aggressive that may stand up to my barbs. becuse the bristlenose i had was pretty big except i guess they got to him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store