20 gallon long tank and two aquaclear 20 filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Another possibility for "taming" too strong of a filtration output is by using the time tested cut soda-bottle baffle method (photo below, being used on a AC 110). It can be used in any HOB filter of any size on brand. However, AC filters seem best for using this system, as their shape allows easier positioning of the baffle. I did not design this, but have used it extensively, over the years when needed, and have modified it to my personal goals.

The advantage of this method is that it DOES NOT DECREASE FLOW, it simply re-directs it so it reduces the turbulence caused by the exiting water (notice that in the photo, the lever is in the full-flow position). I like it for situations such as not wanting to damage the floating bubble nest of gouramis, or not throwing delicate plants all about. Cheap (free), effective, and reversible.
Cheers!

IMG_0734.jpg

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
But doesn't Hagen state that by keeping the AC's flow reduced (the flow tab towards the right "-" side) it makes for better water polishing and re-filtration?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
But doesn't Hagen state that by keeping the AC's flow reduced (the flow tab towards the right "-" side) it makes for better water polishing and re-filtration?
I don't know that I've read that with the literature that comes with these filters. I can see where biological filtration would be more effective the slower the water passes through the media.

If the media was being bypassed at max flow and not bypassed at reduced flow, polishing ability would obviously be better.

I only run some AC70s and 100s these days and I keep them dialed back a bit. I mostly adjust them to keep the lid from rattling. Mine get noisiest when the intakes start to clog from plant debris. I can't readily see the intakes on 2 of my tanks with plants.

Reactions: fishorama

lauren connor

AC Members
Mar 11, 2022
I have a 20 gallon tank and I used every old piece of equipment I had laying there, I used this Fluval C3 filter for the tank.
It was easy to set up is quieter than the other pumps

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
"But doesn't Hagen state that by keeping the AC's flow reduced (the flow tab towards the right "-" side) it makes for better water polishing and re-filtration?"

Whether or not that is true does not matter. With the cut-soda baffle method, the flow of the filter is NOT REDUCED. It is simply RE-DIRECTED so it does not blast about things you don't want blasted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store