20 gallon long tank need some stocking ideas ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I am cycling the tank now and am just wanting to think about what kind of fish to stock it with.. in schooling fish I like the Leopard Danios, but I also am interested in a few different types of Barbs mainly the Tiger

but from what I understand Barbs arent very friendly with most tank mates ?? if so what would be a good tank mate in a 20 gallon ?

I open open to suggestions of all types it is a 20 gallon Long tank

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
I think a 20g is a little small for tiger barbs, but you could do some cherry barbs. They stay much smaller than tigers, and are very peaceful and can be mixed with most other small peaceful community fish. I used to have some in my old 20 and they were a really pretty, busy fish.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I have 25 Chili Rasboras in my 20 long, along with tons of yellow shrimp. The Chilis are beautiful in this tank, but as small as they are I'm going to get 35 more from Rachel, (Msjinkzd), to make a really nice school in there. I love a huge school of tiny fish like that in a tank. You really need that many of them to be dramatically visible in a 20 long tank. There are several tiny species you could go with, but the Chilis are especially bright and beautiful and they school nicely.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
i was also interested in some tetras, I like the Cardinals in particular... I also like the Powder Blue Gouramis but idk if they grow to big for my tank

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Cardinals are gorgeous. I think Gouramis are pretty, but I don't know how big the Powder Blues get.

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009
Don't go with dwarf gouramis, they tend to die very quickly due to a common virus. I would definitely go with white cloud mountain minnows and neon/cardinals to clash.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^what virus?

Some cherries would work, and yes they're not nearly as aggro as the tigers.

:cheers:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store