20 Gallon stocking, is it overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Scott Mitchell

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2017
I'm looking to stock my 20 gallon long planted aquarium. My ideal stocking list is as follows...

1. 9 Forktail Blue-Eyed Rainbows (they're a small Rainbow species)
2. about 3 Amano Shrimp
3. a small colony of Cherry Shrimp
4. Small Cardinal Tetra school (Around 6)
5. 1 Electric Blue Ram once the tank is established

Is this overstocked? I'm totally willing to change my list. I've been out of the hobby for years, I switched to keeping Dart Frog Terrariums. But I'm looking to start a new tank. If this is overstocked can you suggest a way I could make my stocking acceptable? Also is it even possible to keep a Ram in this tank? I know Rams are slow-moving fish and it's recommended not to keep them with faster fish who will compete and eat all the food. Thanks for the feedback guys!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Bio wise that stocking is fine, compatibility wise the cherries will become an expensive snack for the ram. A single ram in a 20 long should be just fine. With feeding just make sure some food gets to the ram, make some sink a little etc.

BTW love forktails, always wanted some. Are you able to get them locally or are you ordering them?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree with "Myswtsins".

Fiscian

AC Members
Aug 16, 2017
Blue Ram is less than an ideal choice from a compatibility perspective but you are not over stocked.

Find the ram a new home and the shrimp will have a better chance to colonize.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I agree with the others. I like your stocking except for the Ram with shrimp.. How about one of those yellow Honey Dwarf Gouramis as the signature fish?

Scott Mitchell

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2017
Thank you guys for the feedback, I'm sorry for the late response I was having trouble logging back in. That is a real bummer that the Rams aren't compatible with shrimp, I had no idea. I'm assuming Amano shrimp would be out of the question as well. I really want to keep Amanos to help clean up my tank. Maybe I'll get some Dwarf Corydoras or Otos instead. If I decide to replace the Ram I have no idea what I could get as the center piece of the tank. Any suggestions? I'm not a huge fan of Gouramis sadly but I do see their appeal. I'm looking for a slightly larger, colorful. center piece fish that obviously won't harm my shrimp. Thanks for your time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store