20 gallon stocking with a persnalty

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Be very careful with the 'vacation feeders'. The white blocks are plaster of paris with food mixed in. Don't recommend anyone using them, ever. Cloudy mess and dead fish will be the most probably result. There are gel based ones, but they're not good for 3 weeks.

Fish are not meant to be mobile pets. End of story.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I guess I don't understand why someone can't check in or feed your fish during the 3-week thing? It's possible in a heavily planted, very low stocked tank with omnivorous fish, they would survive 3 weeks with no attention, but that's kind of a cruel experiment IMO.

Just to add to the all the suggestions above, I too have no problems leaving my fish unfed for a week, but this won't work for all fish or babies.

I have a neighbor of family member check on them and feed them once every 3 days or so, but detailed instructions are given/left and you should pre-portion your fish food if possible.

Reactions: jbradt

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
if you can't keep your fish all year round, don't get any. plain and simple. if you wouldn't leave a dog or cat or bird without help, why are fish different? you're just as much responsible for their well-being as a furry pet.

alternatively, you could get a neighbor, friend, or family member to just stop by every other day and feed them, but if you aren't willing to have someone do that for the sake of the fish then you shouldn't keep them.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Or you could wait until you return from the 3 weeks to get new fish. Maybe use that 3 weeks to cycle the new tank. You could get a Blue German ram and some serpae tetras. They look nice together in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store