200 Gallon Filtration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sawyer1206

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Angleton, Tx.
I am setting up my 200 Gallon tank to keep 2 or 3 Largemouth Bass and I am concerned about the filter system. Right now I have under gravel filter plates with 3 300 GPH power heads attached. I also have a homemade in tank filter system with mechanical and bio media.
I have read in other posts that Bass are dirty fish, do I need more filtration?

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
I am builidng a tank with bluegill and pumpkin seed so im in a simmilar situation. three bass with a 200G isnt very stocked. Average adult size is 15", and cuz they are messy fish, the theorey of inches rule says they should get 2 gallons per adult inch. Thats 30 Gallons per fish. so your only half stocked. However i wouldnt go much more than that just cuz they are big fish. You want a filtration system that can turn over 10 times your aquariuam volume per hour wiht messy fish. Then do about 50% water change every week. If you are building your own canister filter you want to have about 2 cu. inches of biomedia per gallon of aquarium. Thats about 22 Gallons of Bio Media if you make a wet/dry or canister filter by hand. (0.114 Gallons of biomedia is aprox. 2 cubic inches) THe pump that you will need needs to push 10 times the water in the aquarium per hour. So you will need a pump that pushes 2,000 Gallons an hour (Or you can get two 1,000 Gallons. That will be easier to find.) If you meet all those peramaters, make sure your filtration is running smoothly quite often, then your tank should run just fine.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
you can have 2 or 3 largemouth bass. as for filtration, build yourself a nice wet/dry using about 150 pot scrubbers and a rena xp3/4 solely for mech filtration.

sawyer1206

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Angleton, Tx.
I am currently planning an engineering a canister filter that will hopefully cover what the tank will need. I am going shopping and will post pics later.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
...Average adult size is 15"...
I am not sure what the average size is, but I know from fishing them that 12" is the minumum legal size (in NY) and I have caught one that was 23". In huge aquaria, like bass pro shops and cabelas, when fed regularly, they get like over 20 lbs I do beleive. :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store