200 gallon newbie (sort of)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ransome22

Imaginary Member
Dec 30, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
Howdy folks. Apologies in advance for the long-ish post. I'm new here and hope to return fairly frequently (if work permits). -- I had a very nice 45 gallon fresh-water planted aquarium in high school which I had to shut down prior to becoming an exchange student and going to college. My dream has always been to have a much larger fresh-water planted aquarium about 72L x 36W x 30H. Smaller species of fish with areas for spawning, plenty of room to school, etc. Questions are these:

~~ Can one find these somewhat odd dimensions as a standard (non-custom), free-standing build anywhere? I am partial to a rather deep (front to back) aquarium as I enjoy looking at significant depth (especially after taking into acount refractive loss) and giving fish secluded areas toward the back of a tank. I also enjoy tall tanks for viewing aesthetics (as long as I can still reach the bottom for planting). I'm 6'4" and can probably manage a 30" reach, taking off a few inches with substrate.

~~ Any ideas on where to purchase? I am somewhat intrigued by Tenecor. This aquarium is fairly close although depth and height are still a bit shallow for me: http://www.tenecor.com/bowfront.php

~~ Does anyone have experience with planting free-standing aquariums more than 30 inches tall (where one cannot reach the bottom)? Do planting tools simplify things, or are these abnormally tall aquariums just a pain in the neck?

~~ Are there any advantages to acrylic vs. glass given my interests?

~~ I work in the area of humanitarian relief and can end up overseas for several months (to a couple of years). When I return from overseas, will my equipment be outdated or largely unsupported by aquarium supply shops?

~~ Can a 10th floor studio apartment withstand 2000 pounds of aquarium?

Just re-starting on this adventure and not too sure if it's realistic. Many thanks for any help. Still need to make sure I can get the aquarium through the door!

Ransome

quick061

AC Members
Nov 19, 2002
CA
Visit site
all i can say is that a 10th floor apartment might have some structual issues with that much weight. you'd have to check with a building engineer or maybe even have someone come out and inspect it to see. there are some general guidelines like placing the tank as close as possible to load bearing walls and running perpendicular to floor supports that will help but when you're talking that much weight you never can tell.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
won't 30 inches of depth make your lighting situation rather difficult for the plants?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store