20g, long or tall?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elanaran

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
I have a Cichlid tank that are currently hanging out in a 20 gallon, but in a room that is now abandoned thanks to my brother moving out. So, we want to move them into the living room and since I'm going through all the trouble of moving the tank anyway, was wondering if you think cichlids would prefer a tall or long? since I could use either it won't matter to me, just trying to figure out what would be best for them.

I was thinking long at first but looking at the actual difference in lenth (6"), it doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

What do you guys think?

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
depends on the type of ciclid - but lots of them like to have more floor space for territorial reasons.

pluss i agree that gas exchange is always a good thing

i have a 20 L community and think it's a great tank

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
You're better off with a long.....what types of cichlids do you have ? Most folks wouldn't agree with keeping many cichlids in a 20 gallon tank. Most get too big for that.

There are dwarf cichlids (rams) and shelldwellers that are great for 20longs....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store