20g long stocking help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mmig2001

AC Members
Feb 15, 2021
(already checked on AQadvisor and they all seem to work but id like real peoples opinions) Im a beginner about to start a 20g planted long and after it cycles I was planning on eventually having 2x honey gouramis, 10x dwarf shrimp, 5 horned nerites, and maybe 5x aquatic isopods, but I need some help with another fish type. I was thinking 6 kuhli loaches? or a few freshwater bumblebee gobies? or desert gobies? what are yalls thoughts? and if I go with the gobies how many should I put in? I was originally going to also do a tetra school but id much rather do the loaches/gobies if I cant have both, and im set on the honey gouramis

also, after adding gobies or loaches to ny stocking list, could I add one bamboo shrimp to my plan? I love their fans!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
If you are thinking of bamboo shrimp or gobies, id avoid the gouramis as gouramis dont like flow, while gobies and bamboo shrimp need flow in the tank.

Id say:
2-3 honey gourami (they're social, 1m 2f)
6-8 kuhli loaches
Cherry shrimp (the gourami will probably eat the babies, so offer a lot of moss for them to hide in)
3 nerite snails

Thatd be a fairly decent start to the hobby without overdoing it. Can even consider a shoal (6-8 fish) of small rasboras like chili rasboras or microdevario kubotai, or espei rasboras.

Reactions: Wyomingite

mmig2001

AC Members
Feb 15, 2021
If you are thinking of bamboo shrimp or gobies, id avoid the gouramis as gouramis dont like flow, while gobies and bamboo shrimp need flow in the tank.

Id say:
6-8 kuhli loaches
Cherry shrimp (the gourami will probably eat the babies, so offer a lot of moss for them to hide in)
3 nerite snails

Thatd be a fairly decent start to the hobby without overdoing it. Can even consider a shoal (6-8 fish) of small rasboras like chili rasboras or microdevario kubotai, or espei rasboras.
Just wondering, why 3 vs 5 nerites? and would rummynose rasbora work for a small school like you suggested?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan

Id say:
6-8 kuhli loaches
3 nerite snails

+1. If you want shrimp, the desert gobies are probably a definite no. They can reach 2-1/2 inches and have pretty good-sized mouths, so I'm sure they'd be able to eat the shrimp.

Bumblebees are smaller, but have their own set of issues. First of all, the fish sold under the moniker "bumlebee goby" are actually several species, with Brachygobius nunus and Brachgobius doriae being the most common species sold. It is a myth that all species of bumblebee gobies are brackish water fish (fish that need a low amount of marine salt in the water), but both of these ones do. I know the gouramis can't handle brackish water and I'm pretty sure the shrimp can't as well. Finally, bumblebees tend to be picky eaters and usually don't take to flakes or other prepared dry foods, so at the very least you'll have to be able to provide a variety of frozen foods for them.

WYite

Reactions: NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Just wondering, why 3 vs 5 nerites? and would rummynose rasbora work for a small school like you suggested?
Nerites are little poop machines, so figured less would bring down maintenance for you. But can still do the 5 if you wanted.

The rummynose rasbora is a larger rasbora species so may need a larger footprint space wise than a 20 long can offer.

Reactions: Wyomingite

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How do you intend to cycle this 20L and what type of substrate do you want to use? Kuhli loaches do best with soft sand to root through.

Also, I've never kept a gourami that didn't pick at shrimp.

mmig2001

AC Members
Feb 15, 2021
How do you intend to cycle this 20L and what type of substrate do you want to use? Kuhli loaches do best with soft sand to root through.

Also, I've never kept a gourami that didn't pick at shrimp.
I have already bought a sponge filter and small grained (hopefully soft) black sand!

mmig2001

AC Members
Feb 15, 2021
Nerites are little poop machines, so figured less would bring down maintenance for you. But can still do the 5 if you wanted.

The rummynose rasbora is a larger rasbora species so may need a larger footprint space wise than a 20 long can offer.
ah ok! then I will go for chilis if I do go for any, theyre very pretty! and thanks for the nerite info, I didnt know they pooped a lot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store