20g paludarium extension possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darthgnomian

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
Hi, I'm very new to the forum and am curious about the pitfalls of building a height extension for my tank, I have a 20 gallon tank and want to build (using marine plywood or starboard) a vertical extension, using the tank only for the below water level and the lowest land portion of my paludarium. Basically to extend to an overall height of around 30 inches from it's height now of just over 12 1/2 inches, what kind of complications do you think I would encounter? I'm basically going to build it as an insert that will slip down into the tank being just under a hair less than the inside dimensions of my tank, the insert will need to be removable but sturdy, and I know waterproofing will be important for the base, and any part that will be in contact with the inside of the tank. Thank you for your help and positive criticism in advance.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I've made quite a few removable backgrounds but I've never made one that was partially submerged. What is going to be on the background? Are you covering it with something for plants to grow on? Any drawings of your idea?

Darthgnomian

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
well it isn't just going to be a removable background, it is going to be a vertical extension of the tank, 3 sided from foam insulation, with an opening front out of a plexi or glass material... I will be starting a build thread soon with a list of building materials and photographs of the entire process.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Sounds interesting. What are you going to use to cover the spay foam?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store