~20g Quick Cycling Question~

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

v3n0m

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Goldsboro, NC
I would lightly stock immediately. If you put already cycled filter media in and some substrate from a cycled tank in mesh bags, I would put fish in. Just go slowly and watch your parameters. Those are what I have always done and never had an issue.

ok when you say lightly how light do you mean? The smallest lil guy I have is a Texas Cichlid about an inch and a half long, will he do for the time being?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you plan on putting any of your established tank stock in the new tank? If so I'd move them now and watch parameters. If your putting all different fish in there, I would split the current stock between the tanks.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
For all the experts - What if you added some of the water from vacuuming gravel? It would seem that theoretically it should contain some of the bacteria as well as some food for them?

Just a thought I just had - sounds crazy when I typed it out LOL! But it can't hurt to ask...

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
most of the beneficial bacteria coats the surfaces. I'm not sure you would get much in the way of helpful organisms...just crap literally. I would just put fish in the tank.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
For all the experts - What if you added some of the water from vacuuming gravel? It would seem that theoretically it should contain some of the bacteria as well as some food for them?

Just a thought I just had - sounds crazy when I typed it out LOL! But it can't hurt to ask...
wouldnt really help. might help a little...but the trouble is not worth it.

If you have a HEALTHY established tank take some filter media and stuff it in your tank and then stock it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store