20g, Rena xp3 & co2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ok, as some of you know I'm a teensy bit scared to go co2. But I'm getting ready to redo my 20g long with no fish to gas (as yet) & I think this is a good time to experiment with a co2 "beginner set up" I was given. (10lb tank, solenoid, single stage regulator?, bubble counter, lily pipe diffuser). I "think" I know how to set it up, but maybe not.

It currently has 2 HOBs but I know they're not good with co2 off-gassing. I have a couple Rena XP3s I could use but is that going to be overkill using a spray bar? I could drill some extra holes to reduce flow if needed or some other easy modification?

Any help would be great, I'm nervous, lol, but almost ready to take the co2 plunge!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Woohoo! Welcome the frustrating and amazing world of pressurized CO2! ;) You've probably already seen this but THIS thread is very helpful, I still use it every time I hook up a new tank to double check myself.

The most often overlooked but super important components is good check valves and good, proper fitting tubing. The tubing does not need to be co2 resistant but it is a nice insurance. Standard tubing needs to be inspected more often cause the co2 makes it brittle over time and it may let a minute amount of co2 escape through the tubing wall but not enough to be concerned with ATM. Without getting into the personal stories, cheap check valves lead to disaster. lol

Do you have the knob adjustment part that goes on the spraybar for the XP3? Just using that might be enough to bring the flow to the "not insane" level. Do you have 2 spraybars? They can be connected end to end to further disperse the flow as well. Not sure if the adjuster AND 2 spraybars will fit in a 20L though. Could always just add a ball valve into the line instead, XP3 has nice sizable tubing so an inline ball valve shouldn't be too hard to find.

BTW - You need an avatar picture. :)

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Personally I think you could do the XP3 if you had suitable fish, and plats that were well attached.

I'm not a fan of restricting outflow from a filter because of the extra wear it puts on the motor, and gives you a greater risk of failure at that specific point.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks! Just finding all the parts in my garage is a daunting chore.

Jen, thanks for the link, I had seen it before but now it's easy to find again. I don't know what exactly I have but may need a good check valve if I didn't get 1 with the co2 set up. I know I saw a bunch of plastic 1s from our UGF days, lol.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Just remember that adding CO2 will always help so much as it isnt too much for the livestock.

you may need enough to handle your lighting, but if you do not have that too high it can be simple. balancing light, CO2 and ferts can be more challenging, but the CO2 part is pretty easy.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I kept a few in case I want to run a sponge filter :p.

I'll probably use the T-5 NOs I have. Maybe T-5 HOs but they're only 24 inch. I didn't like them before in my no tech, 20g are so shallow. I should get new bulbs but no rush.

I'm debating whether to keep the Eco substrate I like or try something else, ADA soil? Turface I have but haven't tried? Thin dirt under? Maybe more bother than I'll feel like. & maybe I'll find cool plants rooted in the jungle. It'd be nice to get rid of the duckweed...if I can o_O

I will need to learn to use ferts regularly, unlike my almost never approach now.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would vote to try 1 new thing at a time.

ADA soil will need cycling of it's own, a capped dirt substrate will make you want to die if you have to move plants around.

I've used Turface and Eco Complete with CO2, and had no issues.

for simple ferts to start with, check out Thrive (http://nilocg.com/ThrivePlus), depending on type of plants, consider a root tab fertilizer too (I would stick clear of anything osmocote based)

hope that helps!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks dougall. I think you're right, 1 step at a time. Soil of any kind does seem messy & so does replacing the substrate.

I have some dry ferts & Jobe's Palm & Fern sticks, maybe some root tabs. What don't you like about Osmacote?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I was checking out Thrive awhile back, looks great for ease of use!

I vote skip soil for sure. The current substrate is already nicely matured, yes? Big perk of not changing it. If you like the Eco's look and performance just keep it.

D dougall Yeah, why avoid oscomote?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store