20g tank help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

urbz

AC Members
Aug 24, 2009
well i have a 20g fresh water tank and would like to start putting live plants into it and have a few questions about how to do so

- i am planning on adding some seachem flourite as a substrate is this necessary to have ?
-i also would like to upgrade my lighting how many watts do most plants need
- and are C02 units needed

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
well i have a 20g fresh water tank and would like to start putting live plants into it and have a few questions about how to do so

- i am planning on adding some seachem flourite as a substrate is this necessary to have ?
-i also would like to upgrade my lighting how many watts do most plants need
- and are C02 units needed
Flourite is a great substrate. Just make sure to rinse it until the wate runs clear, otherwise you will have brown tank.

Lighting all depnds on what type of plants you want to have, and whether or not you want a high tech tank or a low tech tank.

Low tech tanks 95% of the time dont need C02 or fertilizers as the left over fish food and waste will help provide nutrition for the plants as well as the substrate and tap water.

High tech tanks need c02, usually have 2 to 3 watts a gallon oflight and require fertilizers.

I would suggest going low tech as its easier to learn and get comfortable with. I would shoot for no more than 2 watts a gallon, with some shop lights you can buy at lowes, menards etc. You dont need anything expensive. Also there are tons of low light plants that you can use that will do well. You can plnat plants immediatly, its best to get as many as you can in the tank. Pack it full in the beginning or as much as you can afford.

urbz

AC Members
Aug 24, 2009
alright thanks lowtech sounds like a plan any examples of a lowtech plant ( java moss, java fern that is really all i know )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store