20g what fish to put in

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jaco17

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
ive got 20 gallon tank just cycled. what fish do you suggest to put in there and how many. thanks

Xielos

how I mine for fish?
Sep 13, 2005
It really depends on what type of theme you want in the tank. When you decide on a broad theme, you can fit in the fish that would go well with each other. For instance, you could set up an amazon tank with lots of small tetras, like Neons, Glo-Lites, Serpaes, maybe Blackskirts. If you want just a couple larger fish you, could fit a pair of Blue Rams in the tank, though I don't think Angelfish would fit in there.

What type of decorations are in the tank? Planted? Driftwood? Rocks? All fake stuff?

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Try to find a particular fish that interests you (and is suitable for the tank) and build around it.

Perhaps some Apistogramma cacatuoides? 1 M and 2 F then some dithers like a school of tetras and maybe a couple of Otos?

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
3 Oscars, 2 Pacus, an Alligator Gar and a dozen Goldfish (as food for the others).

Whoops!, I'm not a BigAssPetStoreChain sales person! What was I thinking????

What would you like? One bigger fish or a bunch of smaller ones? I have 5 Otocinclus Catfish and 4 Dwarf Gouramis in a 20 high and may get a few more DGs sometime.

Do you have plants or rocks or whatever?

jaco17

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
i got three rocks one quite large two smaller ones. then i got 3 plants. 2 long grass and one small plant. how many fish do you think i cud have.

i was think 2 clown loach, elephant fish a siamese fighter, red tail shark an a few others any good?

pwrflpills

AC Members
Oct 19, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
jaco17 said:
i got three rocks one quite large two smaller ones. then i got 3 plants. 2 long grass and one small plant. how many fish do you think i cud have.

i was think 2 clown loach, elephant fish a siamese fighter, red tail shark an a few others any good?
Personally I think that's way too much for a 20gal.

The clown loaches will grow to 6"+ and are probably too big for a 20gal. Don't know about elephant fish, but I've read they are high maint.

The siamese and the shark will be aggressive-ish, but I doubt one would be victimized by the other. Sounds like you're going for a semi-agresssive type tank. Keep in mind that a lot of fish in that category get pretty big and may outgrow a 20gal. If you want to go that way it'll just dictate that you have fewer fish. I've got a 20gal myself and wanted to put in Bala sharks, etc., but due to the small tank I had to settle for a community tank with fish in the 2" range (tetras, mollies, etc.)

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
The clown loaches will not do good in a 20 gallon. They get bigger than a foot so they need a lot of space. Try cories instead for a 20 gallon. Might be pushing it for the red-tailed shark as well. The elephant, I'm assuming you mean an elephant nose. Another no-no as these can get to be over a foot long as well.

What does a few others mean?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store