210gal tank is leaking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdefino

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

Just noticed some water on the floor under my 210 tank. I cannot see it coming from around the outside, but there is salt creep under the tank and water dripping slowly.

What's the best course of action. I would guess to drain the tank. But I only have a 75gal sump, another 75gal tank and 2 30gal barrels.

I hate to lose the fish. The tank is about 6years old.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I attached a pic of where the leak is.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Would using a bath tub to house the fish be a good idea? I have a large soaking tub I could clean with bleach and let dry before use. [/FONT]

leak.jpg

leak.jpg

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
In my opinion, the correct way to fix this problem so as to not have a repeat is to drain the aquarium, scrape the silicone out with a razor, and apply a 100% Aquarium/USDS Silicone

The bigger problem almost always is what to do with the fish, rocks, etc. and not loose any bio filtration too.

My suggestion is to sterilize the soaking tub, then use any chlorine removing water conditioner to positively remove any and all residule bleach

Try and preserve any important live rock, etc. in here too and use an air store and/or water pump to recirculate

If done correctly, you can have your fish back in within 48 hours

This article gives some helpful tips in applying silicone and choosing the best silicone too:
http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/03/aquarium-silicone.html

rdefino

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
I have nothing hanging on the back. I have drilled over flows. Plus I felt around the tank and nothing is wet n the top or sides, but water drips off and on from the bottom.

I wish it was something from the top. :(

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Did you check the Bulkhead/gasket for leaks on the overflow and return?
+1 but if it is from the bottom you may want to start preparing yourself for a reseal.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store