220 Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
I have cleaned this garage several times - only to make room for more tanks :)

I have to many - probably going to start getting rid of some of the tanks.

Our Tanks:
2 - 75 ( 1 up and running )
2 - 90 ( 1 up and running )
1 - 29
1 - 24 Nano ( up and running )
1 - 220 ( my current project )

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Update:
Got most of the glass cleaned up and working on the overflows.
the tank had ALOT of velcro on the top frame and after a bottle of goo b gone if it almost completely clean.
Looking good!:thumbsup:

word of advice:
these tanks are HEAVY - have help when moving it around :)
Because of the depth - put the tank on the floor - even with a step stool, I had a hard time getting the bottom of the tank :)
No kidding as my back and friend's back are still suffering after 10+ yrs from carrying 265 G up the tight stairswell but well worth the efforts :D

Looking forward to well established tank very soon!

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
getting ready to reseal the tank.
Reason -
Would much rather reseal while its down instead of setting it up only to find out there is a problem

This is not an easy task - if anyone has ever tried this.

probably a full day of cutting out the old silicone, and preping the tank.

Will post progress pics once I start

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Tedious task but your call.

Done what youre planning as well as stripping the whole tank apart and reseal from scratch but from my experience on such large tank, you may be compromising its holding ability when cut just the corners and resealed.

Cant say whether you need to or should as I have no idea of tank condition but I personally would just fill and check if you should go that far as I never had to reseal any used tanks that size which didnt leak upon filling and sittting for few days. Perhaps I was lucky!

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
my concern is the stand looks as though there was a leak around the middle of the tank, as there is water marks and wood seperation.. that is why I am thinking strongly about resealing. the stand is going to the fire pit - I have a new custom stand and canopy being built for this tank.

you are right though - this is a very tedious task. If you take your time and not rush - you can do it with no issues.

Oh - I am not looking at doing just the corners, I will be doing a total reseal - you must make a constant bead in order to get the proper seal.

If you just try to repair the leaking area, you are not getting a good bond with the new silicone and the exsisting seal. You will be asking for trouble later on.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
my concern is the stand looks as though there was a leak around the middle of the tank, as there is water marks and wood seperation.. that is why I am thinking strongly about resealing. the stand is going to the fire pit - I have a new custom stand and canopy being built for this tank.
Shame about the cabinet as Looked nice on the pic. Perhaps few accidents with buckets but only you can make best assessment.

you are right though - this is a very tedious task. If you take your time and not rush - you can do it with no issues.
Done it few times myself and didnt enjoy as much as cleaning:)

Oh - I am not looking at doing just the corners, I will be doing a total reseal - you must make a constant bead in order to get the proper seal.
Meant all the seams:)

If you just try to repair the leaking area, you are not getting a good bond with the new silicone and the exsisting seal. You will be asking for trouble later on.
Done both ways to achieve the same but like I said,your call![/QUOTE]

Will leave you alone now:joke: & hope all goes well as planned.

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
you don'y have to leave me alone :) - we are here to help each other and other people experiences are worth a lot - when people can give advice and or constructive criticism to save some one time, money, and possible heart ache... its all worth it :)

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
UPDATE:

Filled up the tank about half way and now.........

the tank has a leak in the back along the bottom :(

Its between the two over flows - pretty easy fix :)

drained and cleaned out - will be ripping out the silicone tomorrow morning and re-sealing -

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store